Roland
Roland, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified for 10 years, Been working in Dodge Dealerships since 1992
30952659

2004 dodge ram 1500: gauges working, jiggled the key..ignition switch

2004 dodge ram 1500 will not start. battery is good, lights radio and gauges working, jiggled the key and started twice, now will not start. Is this the ignition switch and how do I change it?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Roland replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Roland :

Hello, my name is Roland

Just want to clarify that if you wiggle the key you can get the vehicle to start? Also is there a round red light lite in the cluster at all times?

Customer:

That worked twice however this morning it would not turn over by wiggling. All gauge lights are working.

Customer:

not sure about the round red light, my truck was left at work and i had to get a ride home

Roland :

If the red light is on with the key on at all times there is a security concern. If the light comes on and then goes out it does sound like a ignition switch issue. You can remove the covers on the steering column to get access to the ignition switch to test the ignition switch to see if it is powering up the starter circuit.

Customer:

I will check that , can i contact you in an hour for more info

Roland :

I am at work so I will be on and off, but I will reply to you as soon as I am on. Here is the connector pin out so you can use a test light to test the powers and grounds. Also test the start wire from the ignition switch.

Customer:

ok thanks I will reply later

Roland :

ok your welcome

Customer:

OK i was not able to accept your down load possibly because i have a MAC, however the gauge lights go off when I turn the key to start. I took apart the steering column and I see the keyed switch is mechanical and am not sure where the ignition switch is. do you have a diagram

Roland :

The switch is on the drivers side of the steering column.

Roland :

The switch is on the drivers side of the steering column. It is closer to the instrument cluster

Customer:

I put in a new switch and it works, Thanks