brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2004 Dodge durango: loud knocking sound..faster..pitched..rpms go up

Customer Question

2004 Dodge Durago 5.7 liter, loud knocking sound that gets faster, not higher pitched, when RPMs go up. Sound appears as soon as card is started and in idle. Very metallic sound.
Submitted: 4 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Does the engine run good?

Does it sound like the noise is coming from the top of the engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The engine runs fine. There are no error codes. Can't really tell where the sound is coming from - does not appear to be coming from the top, rather maybe bottom???? When the engine starts and stays in idle, it is there but barely noticeable, but when you rev up, it gets loud and matches the RPMs.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
If the engine is running fine and the noise is coming from the bottom then most likely you have a rod bearing causing the noise and will need to replace the bearings. You will want to do this right away as if you let it go can cause damage to the crank and be a more expensive repair.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there any other way to confirm this diagnosis? Also, could you provide a generic estimate for such a repair? Should I take it to a dealership or will any mechanic be able to do it? Thanks
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Many times by canceling out a cylinder the noise will change or go away and this is a good indication it is the bearing. To replace the bearings would be around $750.00 and a repair shop or dealer could do the work but not a quick lube or muffler place.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Jeff. I did try cancelling out one by disconnecting first number 1 and then number 2 on the driver side of the engine. It did not change or effect the noise at all. Does that change your diagnosis?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
No even if it doesn't change it can still be the rod and from your description that is what the problem is.
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Jeff. Appreciate your help. Will get the car towed to mechanics, instead of driving it tomorrow
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Good idea!

Thanks and take care