bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert

1992 Dodge Grand Caravan: door ajar chime..sliding stays

The door ajar chime on my 1992 Dodge Grand Caravan is on despite all the doors being closed. I know it is related to the sliding door switch since in the past fiddling with that door has made the problem stop temporarily, but now it stays on almost continually. Is this a simple or expensive repair? If expensive is there any way to overide the chimes all together?

Good morning.

If you are sure that the problem is at the sliding door, you can replace the door ajar switch to repair the problem.

If you are not sure, you will need a multi-meter and will need to pull the body control module out to do some testing.

Now I'll be honest. Its been many years since I have work on the sliding door of a 92' but you can either replace the switch or just remove the switch and ground the wire that goes to it to turn off the warning indicator.

There should be just one wire. It should be tan with a yellow stripe. Grounding this wire would be a permanent fix to the problem with the switch..

Please let me know if I can assist further..Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm afraid there is not a single tan with yellow stripe wire but 2 wires ( one to each contact ) , one orange, one pink with black stripe on the contact side and 2 similiar wires to the switch side

I am going to release your question to see if someone has a better wiring diagram. Mine is not up to par...

Thanks, Josh

hi i'm bill
welcome to just answer
please remember I am NOT there in front of you! my answers are based completely on the information you provide

the slider switches were less than 10.00 bucks last time i needed one (a few years ago) and were the most common electrical issue in the older 3rd generation minivan (1991 to 1995) so i would feel very safe in replacing the slider switch, the 2 wires you have are for door chime and dome lights and the other wire is to ground so if for some reason you cannot find a switch simply disconnecting the switch will kill the warning chimes ,just be sure the slider closes properly before you replace the switch or yo will damage the new one

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your answer but I'm still confused .... by slider switch do you mean the whole door jamb setup with the childguard slide thing? ... and does that include the front pillar contacts? .... you mention 5 wires including a ground, but when I took both sides apart I only saw 4 wires ( 2 to the door side and 2 to the pillar side ) .... and if I were to just disconnect the the switch would I lose all the interior lights and the other chime functions? ...and lastly i guess you meant the sliding door when you said it needs to be working right or the it would damage the new switch?

the door ajar switch is on the rear pillar(rear body) the last pillar before the rear window, the switches you see on the door and front pillar are for the power door locks IF equipped, the door ajar switch is black and round the door pushed against it to close or open the switch if you disconnect the switch the dome lights and chime will not come on when this door is opened the other doors will operate correctly, you must open the slider to see the switch (open the slider sit on the floor or seat and look at the rear body you will see the switch plunger, yes it is possible to damage the new switch if the slider does not close correctly
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will try the disconnect solution ... if it works as you said you'll be paid Thank you
ok just be sure you disconnect the correct switch remember it is on the REAR pillar, it snaps out with a thin flat blade small screwdriver, pull firmly on the switch and connector to separate the 2 just don't lose the connector in the pillar or you will be removing the rear quarter trim to get it back you may want to tape over the hole to prevent water intrusion
bill, dodge master tech
Experience: 25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I feel like a real dummy now that I realize I've assumed all along that the double spring loaded switches on the sliding door were the chime switches. What the heck are those for anyway?? Anyway, it finally dawned on me when you said to sit on the floor to view the chime switch on the rear pillar that we were talking about two totally different switches. Needless to say, when I saw that round switch where I should of been looking the light bulb went on

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
and I went right ahead and took the switch out without a hitch and did a test run and EUREKA, no more unnerving chime when we drive!!! Thank you Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know I could have just accepted the answer without this reply, but I'm just so happy had to say. A quick reply and your money will be on the way.

Thank you i am glad i could help, those 2 switches you were looking at are for power door locks they are contacts not switches when you close the door they complete the circuit for the power door locks(they were there on 99% of minivans even if there were no power locks)