Paul
Paul, Lead Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Master Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep Technician For 15 years
45607799

I have a 2005 dodge ram.On the overhead console I have 2 map

I have a 2005 dodge ram.On the overhead console I have 2 map lights that you push in to operate.The drivers side works the passenger side doesn't.It clicks and sounds just like the other one but no light.I tried 2 new bulbs ,still nothing.Is there an easy way to change out the switch ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Paul replied 4 years ago.
Hello...

The dealer sells a small harness that includes the two switches with it. You must remove the overhead unit and install the harness. I think it costs about $50. I'll try to find you a part number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me how to remove the overhead unit without messing up the headliner ?
Expert:  Paul replied 4 years ago.

OVERHEAD CONSOLE REMOVAL

NOTE: Several different overhead consoles are available on this vehicle. The retaining screws that secure the console to the headliner bracket can be accessed by either removing the reading lamp lenses or through the sunglass storage bin.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. On vehicles equipped with a sunglass storage bin, remove the overhead console retaining screws, located in the sunglass storage bin.

3. On all other vehicles, remove the overhead console retaining screws located behind the reading lamp lenses.
    1. Using a small thin-bladed screwdriver, gently pry between each side of the lamp lens and the overhead console housing (1) to unsnap the pivot tabs (3) on the lens from the pivots in the lamp housing.
    2. With the lens disengaged from both pivots, pull the front of the lens forward far enough to disengage the tab (2) on the rear edge of the lens from the slot in the rear of the overhead console lamp housing.
    3. Remove the lens from the housing.
    4. Remove the two torx head retaining screws.
  4. Using your fingertips, grasp the sides of the overhead console and pull straight down evenly to disengage the two snap clips at the front of the unit.
  5. Lower the overhead console far enough to access the wire harness connectors.
  6. Disconnect the Electronic Overhead Module and the reading/courtesy lamps electrical connectors.
  7. Remove the overhead console from the vehicle.
Expert:  Paul replied 4 years ago.
05166454AA

This should be the number. Most dealers stock this harness.
Paul, Lead Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified, Master Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep Technician For 15 years