brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

How do you change a belt tensioner on a 1997 Dodge Caravan

Can you tell me the engine size of the van?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a 3.8 liter
1. Release the tension on the serpentine belt by rotating the tensioner clockwise and remove the serpentine belt from around the tensioner pulley.
2. Remove the nut attaching the tensioner on the back of the bracket.
3. Install new tensioner. Torque the attaching nut to 61 Nm (45 ft. lbs.)
4. Install the serpentine belt,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When you say remove the nut attaching the tensioner are you referring to the bolt on the hardware un front of the tensioner
The tensioner has a stud on it which goes through the bracket and the nut attaches to it. The nut is behind the bracket and after it is removed the tensioner will come off.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You must be describing a tensioner that is not on the 1997 Caravan. The only visible attachment is a bolt on the hardware in front of the tensioner and it does not have a nut on it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok....Then it has a stud that goes through the bracket and a nut on the back side of it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I must be a little dense, when you are looking at the picture of the tensioner, is the nut on the part that the belt goes on or the part that is attached to the engine?
It is on the part that attaches to the engine. You can't see it in the picture as it is on the back side.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I think I see what needs to be done now, my only other question is does it require any special tool to reach it?
No specials tools are needed.