HighwayRepair
HighwayRepair, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  8 Years Auto Repair Experience. Owner/Operator of Highway Auto Repair, a mobile automotive repair business
49268239

how do i change the clutch switch on a dodge dakota v-6

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  HighwayRepair replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
HighwayRepair :

Your vehicle does not have a clutch safety switch, the automatic trucks came with a neutral safety switch, but the manuals did not get a clutch switch until 95. What does your vehicle do when it doesn't start? I would like to help you locate the cause of your complaint?

Customer :

i have to press the clutch two or three times then it will start i just replaced the ignition switch

Customer :

what else could it be

Customer :

also has a new battery

Customer :

the clutch works fine

HighwayRepair :

You can duplicate this complaint all the time? always takes a couple of actuation's of the clutch before it will starts?

Customer :

yes it happens every time but it will start eventually i had a locksmith change the switch last week

HighwayRepair :

If your vehicle has a clutch safety switch, it would most likely be mounted to the top of the clutch pedal, you should be able to see the switch and the wiring going to it. My service manuals state that your vehicle does not have this switch. It is possible a switch was retrofitted by a previous owner

HighwayRepair :

so you can walk out to your truck right now, turn the key to the start position and nothing will happen, but if you leave the key in that position, and actuate the clutch a couple times the vehicle will start? what happens if you turn the key to the start position, and just leave it there for 10-15 seconds?

Customer :

i have looked and nothing there what else could it be i went to autozone and they sold me a neutral safety switch but it wont work on my truck

Customer :

i still have to press the clutch pedal a couple of times

Customer :

what would it be if i put the switch in the start pos and had to wait 10-15 seconds

HighwayRepair :

a bad ignition switch, or a faulty connection between the ignition switch and the starter

Customer :

also i always thought you had to use the clutch to start a vehicle

HighwayRepair :

that is a safety feature that is now federal law, but did not used to be. Dodge was "forced" to start installing the switch on 95 and later dakotas, many manufacturer's had been installing them willingly for many years

HighwayRepair :

You said you replaced the ignition switch, did you replace this switch in hopes to fix this complaint, or for unrelated reasons?

Customer :

both i got ill and turned the switch to far and broke it i had a well known locksmith replace it

HighwayRepair :

So the complaint existed before the ignition switch was replaced, hmm.....

Customer :

when i turn the switch a sound is made to try to start it then sometimes i press it two or three times then it starts

Customer :

yes sir

HighwayRepair :

This almost sounds like the starter is binding or not engaging properly either due to its own mechanical failure, or a fault in the wiring to the starter. This would be very unlikely but technically possible that "wiggling" the clutch moves the flywheel slightly and allows the starter to spin it, but this is a VERY longshot unlikely idea. It is much more likely that an aftermarket clutch safety switch has been installed

HighwayRepair :

Curious, does this work exactly the same with the transmission in first gear or in neutral?

Customer :

no no other changes

Customer :

still hesitates

Customer :

well i guess i will try something else i just dont want to get stranded

Customer :

thanks man

HighwayRepair :

I'm sorry, I can re-open your question to allow for other experts to try to assist you, I am out of options, your vehicle does not have a clutch safety switch, but it is acting like it has a faulty one

HighwayRepair :

you are welcome, would you like me to re-open your question to other experts?

Customer :

please re open it for me and thanks

HighwayRepair :

You're welcome. I'll reopen it right now. try not to re-post to this message unless you are trying to get a hold of me again, doing so will lock the question to me and may prevent another expert from assisting you. Sorry I couldn't be more help, good luck and take care.