Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

2004 dodge dakota: speed sensor..abs and brake lights..try next

Customer Question

I have code P0501 speed sensor on my 2004 dodge dakota. I replaced thespped sensor but the speed ometor still does not work the abs and brake lights are still on. Any suggestionson what to try next?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

With this p-code and the symptoms you describe, the most common problem is going to be the rear wheel speed sensor located on top of the rear differential. This sensor is where the PCM reads the speed from, and when faulty will set a Brake and ABS light.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have already replaced that sensor. It did not help. I also havea code P0533 and P 0645 which are a/c related issues. These all happened at the same time.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Hmmm. That's odd. Tell you what, let me opt-out and forward you to another Tech that may have a better idea as to what's going on here. Sit tight one sec, someone will be right with you...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Chris replied 6 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will take a shot at this. The ABS controller may have failed. Do you have a scan tool that can communicate with the ABS controller?

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My wife had the mechanics at the school hook it up and it gave them the P0501 code Speed Sensor. It did not even show the codes about the A/c that I got from the truck.
Expert:  Chris replied 6 years ago.

Ok, that is fine, but what I would like to know is if the mechanics were able to communicate with the ABS controller. Not the PCM (engine computer). You see if the ABS controller is not working, then the PCM will not get a speed signal from the ABS controller. This would cause that P0501 code to be set in the PCM. So we need to check that next.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok I will have to find someone to check that for me
Expert:  Chris replied 6 years ago.

Ok, sounds good. Let me know how it goes,

Chris