moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp

1997 Ram 2500: 5.9 Cummins Diesel Problem is fuel shut-off solenoid

1997 Ram 2500 w/5.9 Cummins Diesel Problem is fuel shut-off solenoid. It started acting up about 2 years ago. Occasionally it would not start, but after a few tries, bam, it would start. Sometimes we would go months with no problems and then my wife would be calling from somewhere saying the truck won't start. Took it to the local dealer, they said $800 to replace, got one online had it installed, it worked for about 30 days and quit.No intermittent, nada, zilch. Was told must be the relay. Switched that, not that With ignition on we manually operate solenoid to start truck. It rains allot here so that is no bueno. What gives? Have a neighbor who is an engineer that is almost as eager as I am to know "What is really happening???" . Any help would be greatly appreciated.I finally came to my senses today and told my wife,"Click and Clack will know", don't let me down, please. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Robertson [email protected]
Check the wiring on the positive battery cable that goes over the bolt make sure its not broken at the connector or is just not making connition
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
wire over which bolt? Connection? Where? At Battery post?
yes on the positive battery cable
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not blowing you off, my mechanic should be able to get to it sometime this week, at which time I will gladly pay you. Your answer makes sense to me. Thank-you for your patience. Ray Robertson
No problem Ray just let me know if I can help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
finally got the truck in to the mechanic and he checked the wire from the battery and said it was good. He said he thought the solenoid was bad but after leaving there it worked just fine for three starts and then quit again. Any other ideas? I'm about ready to be committed over this one. Thanks, Ray
If you have power to the solenoid and it does not pull up then you will need to replace it