Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner

96 dodge: 5.9 cummins..breather tube..any oil just blows it

my 5.9 cummins in a 96 dodge is blowing oil out the breather tube. It doesn't burn any oil just blows it outthe breather. I have no miss or knock or power problems but it will blow out a quart of oil in 50 miles. Also the amount of actual blow by doesn't seem to be that extreme, but it is carrying oil with it. GP at harmonheifers.I purchased this vehicle at a sale and have no history. I have put tppet cover gaskets on it because they were also very hard and leaking some oil. I did not use a feeler guage but did not observe any loose lifters
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. First thing we need to do is train the oil and checked the sample for any signs of fuel in the oil itself. Then refill the engine using fresh oil in the new specification for your engine is 11 qts of oil. Run the engine and see if you still have oiled to blowing out the breather. If you do the next thing we're going to checked is the breather assembly and the battle itself in the valve cover to be sure it's not damage for has not fallen apart while the valve cover is off checked to see that the oil drains are clear going down through the cylinder head if all that looks good then the next thing we're going to do is a compression test on the engine because it most likely has just too much blow by and is pushing the oil out
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Isee no baffle in any one of the 6 valve covers on this 5.9 cummins diesel. It apears to breath close to the drive on the injection pump. Please reafirm the breather assembly.

So what is it that is actually leaking the oil explain this to me a little more carefully . Could you send me a picture . Also have you tried changing the oil Very often when he gets contaminated with fuel it will do exactly as you describe
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will change oil again. I understand if fuel gets in oil it gets to thin and will blow out. I still dont understand the baffle in the valve cover. I dont find one
no i mean a baffle at the breather , some had come off the valve cover
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience: 30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner