Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics

MY car wont come out of park? I have a 2005 Dodge magnum

MY car won't come out of park? I have a 2005 Dodge magnum
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell me if the rear brake lights are working when you step on the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the brake light was lit
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Ok. This is actually becoming a very common problem, very quickly. The problem is going to be in the Shift Interlock System. More times than not, there is a plastic piece on the shifter that breaks between the interlock solenoid and the interlock cable. Both will need to be inspected for proper operation, and more than likely will need to be replaced. In the meantime, there is an "over-ride" that you can use to shift from Park into Neutral then start and drive the vehicle as normal. I'm not a big fan of sending people to the Dealer, however, in this case, it's going to be your best bet.

• Turn the key to the ACC or ON position.
  • Remove the liner to the cubby bin to the right side of the shifter.graphic
  • Depress the BTSI override (2) on the side of the shifter assembly (1).

• While the override is depressed, move the shifter out of the PARK position.

• Return the cubby bin liner to its original location.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay Im going to try and see if this resolves the problem. If not I'll chat back
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

I'll be here....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
unfortunately that didn't work the car still won't come out of park.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Ok. That means that the cable or solenoid has seized. Unfortunately, that's the only over-ride procedure the Dodge provides. It usually works 99% of the time. At this point, the shifter connections, cable and solenoid will need to be inspected.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I should just get it towed to the nearest dealership. Do you have any idea what the cost of repairs should be around? Also do you think it may be the transmission itself that has the problem?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Correct, unfortunately the next step is to tow it. It's definitely not a tranmission problem, i assure you. This is a HUGE problem for these vehicles (i get 4-5 a day like this- Sebring's, 300's, Magnum's) it's getting to be a huge deal, and why there is no recall/TSB on it yet, is beyond me! As for the cost- it will all depend what part is at fault. Like I say, could be the shifter itself (the plastic piece between cable/shifter), could be the solenoid, could be the cable. It's going to need to be broken down to it's individual parts and inspected.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for all your help You've been a great help to me. Thanks again
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

You're welcome. Glad I could help. Have a great day!

Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics