Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics

I am getting a P0038 HO2S Heater Control Circuit High Bank

I am getting a P0038=HO2S Heater Control Circuit High Bank 1 Sensor 2 error code from my Dodge Ram 2005 w/ 5.7l hemi engine. I just replaces the rear O2 sensor after teh catalityc converter. Could it just need to warm up?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Which rear sensor did you replace? (This vehicle has 2 converters). Did you clear the codes after you replaced the sensor?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Passenger side rear. Why do I only see one converter and one exaust pipe? The original error code was P0139 Oxygen Sensor Circuit slow reponse bank 1 sensor 2
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

THe P0139 and P0038 are pointing to the same sensor (one is heater malfunction, one is general malfuntion). The exhaust system should look like this:

graphic

So if you changed the passenger side, you need to change the driver's side, rear sensor. If your setup does NOT look like this, then you need to check your fuses for any that are blown, and I would also reset the computer. You can do this by removing the "NEG" cable from the battery for 15min. After the code is cleared, if there is still a problem, the Check Engine Light should return within 50-75 miles of normal driving (if not less if the "heater" for the O2 sensor is still faulty)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot see the picture. Can you email it?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, all correspondence must be done through this JA message forum, JA rules. I will re-send it. Click "View Full Image" link under the pic for a pop-up window with a close-up view (the sensor you need to change has the red arrow).

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can now see the pic and mine does not look like that. Only one cat converter on mine. I have an Actron code scanner. When I clear the codes from it, shouldnt it clear the computer?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Clearing the codes with the scanner should do it. I would next check the fuses, the internal heater for the O2 sensor is fused. If the fuses are good, next you will need to check the wire harness going to the sensor for any broken or rubbed through wires. I'm surprised your system doesn't look like that with the 5.7L.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I will take your advise.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Glad I could help. Have a great day. Good luck. If you need me, you can find me here.