sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1998 Dodge Dakota, 5.2L . Will not start. Engine turns but no spark.

1998 Dodge Dakota, 5.2L . Will not start. Engine turns but no spark. Code reader indicated that the camshaft position sensor was bad. Replaced. Still will not start, same code from code reader. Coil checked good, but replaced anyway, along with distributor cap, rotor, and coli wire. Swapped Auto shutdown module as well. Still no go. Could it be the crankshaft position sensor? If so, is there an preferred method to replace it. If not, any other suggestions?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What is the P code number that you are seeing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
P0340 and P0320
After you replaced the pickup plate (cam sensor) did you clear the codes out, and both of these have come back?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Where did you buy your pickup plate?

Do you have a voltmeter to do some electrical testing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mopar. Yes, I have a very good HP multimeter.
Great.

Let's start at the pickup plate. Unplug it and turn the key on. Ground the black lead of your voltmeter, set it to 20v DC. Use the red test lead to probe each terminal on the engine harness side of the pickup plate and let me know what you see for each.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

White 1.33

Blue 0.01

Red 5.57

The wires at the pickup plate connector are violet/white, black/light blue and tan/yellow.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

White 1.33

Light Blue .01

Tan 5.5

Unplug the crank sensor. The crank sensor mounts to the block behind the right head, and goes down into the bellhousing. The pigtail comes up and towards the distributor area, where you will find the connector. Unplug it, recheck the voltage on the violet/white wire.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, the crank sensor WAS unplugged for the initial voltage readings (been doing a lot of troubleshooting today). Voltages with the crank sensor plugged in are:

White 5.17

Light Blue 0.00

Tan 5.17

Are you positive on your first readings then? It would be extremely odd to have the reference voltage jump up to normal by plugging in the crank sensor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Rechecked. Reading are the same weather the crank sensor is plugged in or not.

What voltage did you see? Were the first results wrong, and the second ones were right? Or the other way around?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

White 5.17

Light Blue 0.00

Tan 5.17

Now set your meter to the 200 ohm scale. Probe the black/light blue wire and read the resistance to ground. Check in both the cam sensor and crank sensor connectors.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ann leads on the cam and crank sensor connectors are open - 1.0
So you left the black meter lead on a good ground, set it to 200 ohms, probed the black/light blue wire in the pickup plate connector and the crank sensor connector, and you found an open circuit - the same as if you just had the leads laying there without touching anything?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Correct

Unplug the TPS or the MAP sensor on the throttle body and check the black/light blue wire there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, did you want me to check the sensor side or the truck side of these circuits. The Truck side for the TPS and the cam sensor (light blue) both read 1.87. The wires on the crank sensor are not color coded.
All testing that we've done needs to be done on the engine wiring harness side of the connectors. The wires at the crank sensor are gray/black, violet/white, and black/light blue. Go to the crank sensor connector and make sure you have ground on the black/light blue wire also.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK good ground on both the cam and crank leads.
Plug the crank sensor back in. Take a straightened paperclip and insert it into the back of the connector on the black/gray wire and push it in until it makes contact with the terminal inside. Attach the red lead of your meter to it, leave the black lead on ground. Set the meter to 20v DC again. Using a ratchet on the crank damper bolt slowly turn the engine by hand while watching the meter. The voltage should toggle between 0 and 5v as you turn the engine. If it doesn't toggle at all, or if it doesn't make a full sweep from 0 to 5, then replace the crank sensor with a Mopar part.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist