I just rebuilt the 46RE transmission in my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Van 2WD. I replaced the bands, clutches
and all the seals, as well as the pump and torque converter. I thoroughly back-flushed the cooler lines too. I was having some issues, so I took it into a tranny shop to trouble shoot. They replaced the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. It didn't help. Following are the issues I am having:
1) When cold there is sometimes a long delay going into 1st gear (reverse seems to engage fine). If you wait for the engine to warm or move the gear shifter back and forth between reverse and drive a few times, it will finally engage and go.
2) When cold it hesitates shifting from 1st to 2nd when in drive. The rpm fluctuates rapidly up and down about 400 rpm or so like it is switching back and forth between 1st and 2nd. It only seems to do this at lower throttle settings, not when you push hard on the accelerator.
3) Under wide open throttle the transmission will not shift from 1st to 2nd at all. The rpm goes up until the rev limiter comes on. If you back off on the throttle a bit it will shift.
Trouble shooting I have already done myself:
1) I put a computer on it and showed no codes whatsoever.
2) I went through most of the pressure testing procedures in the Dodge shop manual. I was not able to test the forward solenoid pressure because the port is too close to the exhaust pipe.
In the pressure test, everything checked out ok except for a couple of things:
1) The pressure at the overdrive port is low by about 10 psi at 0 throttle and 20 to 30 psi at higher throttle settings. I'm getting about 50 psi at 0 throttle and about 85 psi at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.
2) The governor pressure increases from 0 to about 30 psi going from 0 to 30 mph. However, the pressure fluctuates rapidly up and down about +/- 10 psi. The computer shows this same fluctuation as my manual pressure gauge hooked up to the port.
I also have checked the shift linkage and throttle linkage and all of the wiring and they all seem fine.
Any pointers on what I should check next?