Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

1998 dodge grand caravan: cooling fan..the fan control module or relay

The cooling fan on my 1998 dodge grand caravan no longer comes on. I have tested the fans by running a wire from the battery to the fans and both will come on. I replaced the fan control module or relay with no luck. I tested the voltage is getting to the relay. I measure no voltage on the connectors at the fan. Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 6 years ago.

I replaced the fan control module or relay with no luck

where was this located??

What is the V.I.N. Number??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is mounted on the firewall just below the battery.

1B4GP54LXWB525038

Thank you for the added info...........

"IF" yoiu replaced the Fan Relay Module, located on the left front frame, below the Air Cleaner Box,

graphic

then you need to have the PCM "Flashed", as the PCM is responsible for the operation of the Fan Relay Module. The Temperature Sensor triggers the PCM, which turns the Fan Relay Module "on".
There was a Chrysler Campaign for a limited number of Vans, that had a specific problem with the PCM & your V.I.N. identifies your Van as one of them.

Here is Chrysler Tech Bulletin below:

Models:
1998 Model Year Dodge Caravan and Grand Caravan; Plymouth Voyager and Grand Voyager; and Chrysler Town & Country (NS) Vehicles Equipped With a 2.4L, 3.3L or 3.8L Engine ("B", "G","R" or "L" in the 8th VIN Position) Built Through:

^ November 26, 1997 (MDH 112623) at the St. Louis South Assembly Plant ("B" in the 11th VIN Position)

^ December 1, 1997 (MDH 120109) at the Windsor Assembly Plant ("R" in the 11th VIN Position)

***The radiator fan relay on about 150,000 of the above listed vehicles, may not turn on the radiator cooling fans.
The software within the powertrain control module (PCM) may not operate or drive the solid state relay for the radiator fan correctly.
The vehicle could eventually exhibit an overheat condition due to cooling fan relay failure.This may cause the engine to overheat. To correct this condition, the radiator fan relay must be replaced and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) must be reprogrammed (flashed).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do you get the PCM flashed? If the PCM controls the whole car then I had it replaced earlier this year.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The replacement module was rebuilt from a company in Florida. It is possible the cooling fans have not worked since February. The van sits 99 % of the time. Do you think this is a possibility? My original fan control may be fine, it could just be the replacement PCM. What do you think? Answer these question and I will make the payment. Thanks

The PCM does not control the "whole" car.
Anything is a "possibility"
I am giving you what "I" believe is the cause & fix
Your Van falls under the guidelines of the PCM problem & since you replaced the Relay Module, the PCM may need flashing to recognize the Module or the Module is bad

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where would I take the vehicle to have the PCM flashed? Is this something only the dealer can do?

Yes, Dealer or Shop with updated DRB Scan Tool