b5demon
b5demon, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler master technician for over 17 years Sprinter and Viper specialist
13235514

92 Dodge Dakota: overdrive..runs great..speed sensor..tranny cause

Customer Question

I have a 92 Dodge Dakota 318 a/t , the overdrive would work sometimes and not.This went on for about 8 months and now I don't get it at all.Filter and fluid changed when truck bought 1 year ago.Bands adjusted at that time.Type 4 fluid used.Have code 12 and 15. Truck runs great besides no overdrive and now a loud roar after driving about 12 miles at highway speeds. Sounds like engine is taching up but its not.That could be fan clutch engaging at high rpm or maybe tranny slipping?Loud noise only lasts for about 30 seconds or so and stops but this will now happen about every 3 to 5 miles on down the road.Code 15 is for speed /distance sensor circuit.Could speed sensor on tranny cause no O/D without giving me any other grief,and whats your take on loud roar ?I also have had maint req light on since bought vehicle.Thank you, Kipper
Category: Dodge
Expert:  b5demon replied 4 years ago.
the code 15 you have needs to be fixed first if the controller has that code it will not allow od to engage because it cannot read the speed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I asked if the speed / distance sensor could be the cause of this code with the truck running well
Expert:  b5demon replied 4 years ago.
yes if the controller does not see the speed sensor signal it will not allow o/d