Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, ASE Certified Assistant Service Mgr
Experience:  ASE Certified, over 10 years experience
10675526

door that controls hot/cold air..air conditioning..compressor..cooling

TROUBLE WITH the door that controls hot/cold air to cabin airconditioning works fine until door changes to hot air / all air conditioning components are working fine system charge is fine compressor is running/fan is fine. system is cooling great until for some reason door just flips to hot air side of system . is this the blend door??? how controlled elect./vac.?this is single system not duel cabin control
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Your Auto Inspector :

Thanks for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you .

Your Auto Inspector :

what is the year, make, model, and engine size of your vehicle??

Customer :

2001/02 dodge ram 1500v6

Your Auto Inspector :

The blend door is controlled electronically with an actuator. You will need to remove the evaporator box from inside the dashboard to access the actuator or the door. I have had alot of problems with these doors breaking but usually it is not intermitten. I would lean towards an actuator issue but you will need to do some disassembly for further diagnostics.

Customer :

is this a thermostat control or a rheostat controlled actuator isit over counter part or dodge part only

Your Auto Inspector :

Dodge part only

Your Auto Inspector :

They are controlled electronically by the control module. Its position is determined based upon a feedback signal to the control module. The door position is set durring the calibration process and stays in the exact same place based upon the voltage signal from the control module.

Your Auto Inspector :

Therefore the position is predetermined, not based upon temperature.

Customer :

the control modual is located where?

Your Auto Inspector :

The unit in the dashboard is the control unit. Its called the hvac unit.

Your Auto Inspector :

Where you change the fan speed and the temperature.

Customer :

how to check control module and actuator

Customer :

how do you determine whether the control module is bad or the actuator is at fault

Experience: ASE Certified, over 10 years experience