TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
6531745

Dodge: brake pedal goes all the way..rotors..master cylinder..bled

Customer Question

05 dodge sprinter, brake pedal goes all the way to the floor now that we replaced all the brakes and rotors, have thrown new master cylinder, brake booster bled multiple times. and still the same problem. I have read on mutiple forums that this is a big issue but no one has an answer, what is the anwer
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
TIM :

hello, main failure we have seen is the hydraulic control unit

TIM :

The HCU consists of a valve body, pump motor, low pressure accumulators, inlet valves, outlet valves and noise attenuators.

Customer :

Everything was working fine until we did the brake job, that unit would go bad after compressing the calipers? That would be the unit under the master cylinder that is 2200 bucks?

TIM :

sorry -- that is correct-- but this is what we have been seeing

Customer :

The brake works with the engine off, but when it is started is when the pedal goes to the floor, wouldnt that have something to do with the booster or vacuum

TIM :

not on this model-- when started the hydraulic control unit takes over control of the brakes -- by pumping brakes with engine off -- you have proven that the master cylinder and brake booster are working and holding pressure -- as soon as started hcu is the main force,tim

Customer :

We put the new HCU in and we are having the same issue. pedal goes all the way to the floor. it stops a little better but there is still no resistance. it still will fade to the floor. We are bled the brakes changed the MC and the Booster again and still the same. I have read on line that this has been happening alot but no one has the answer

TIM :

brakes need to be bled -- following service procedures using the dealer scan tool --this is only way to bleed to get air out of the hcu