brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

Directions to replace a radiator on a 2002 dodge Dakota

Drain the cooling system

Remove hose clamps and hoses from radiator. Disconnect coolant reserve/overflow tank hose and washer bottle electrical connector and hose.

1. Remove upper fan shroud mounting screws Lift upper fan shroud assembly up and out of engine compartment.
  1. Disconnect transmission oil cooler lines, (if equipped).
  2. Disconnect electric cooling fan motor connector.
Remove radiator upper mounting screws. Lift radiator upward and away from vehicle. Do not allow cooling fins of radiator to contact any other vehicle component. Radiator fin damage could result.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks!! do I have to remove the AC pipes that run to the front part of the radiator? I looks like I have to. Also, Do I have to remove the lower shroud? I look like it would get in the way
You should be able to move the a/c out of the way and the lower shroud as well and not have to remove them
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
k, Is the lower shroud, secured by the plugs on the botton of the radiator? when I pull up on the radiator, the shroud pulls up with it? Also on the front of the radiator, there are 4 bolts holding the cooler for the trans, and the AC unit.. Im guessing I dont have to remove them until after the radiator is out?
You will have to loosen the cooler and a/c from the radiator or disconnect the lines which ever is easier for you. You will need to disconnect the lower shroud and just move it out of the way
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
k, if I remove the ac lines, will I need to recharge it?
Yes if they are disconnected the system will need to be charged that is why it is better to disconnect from the radiator and leave it in the vehicle
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
k when I remove the trans lines.. I believe I just plug them.. Once re attached, anything special I have to do ??
Also on the recharge, Would I just recharge wcoolant from the parts store? e.g., adding freon to the low side of the system?
Nothing special with the transmission lines. Yes you can recharge with freon from a parts store if you decide to disconnect the a/c system and can be added to the low side.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
k, i just looked at what I have so far. looks like 2 bolts holding in the Trans cooler, 2 bolts holding the AC (part) to the radiator. looks like I have to remove both units before I can pull the radiator otherwise the whole unit binds against these 3 parts when I try to pull the radiator (out the front).. Am correct?? tx again
Yes correct that is the best way to do it.