brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

1994 dodge dakota: My speedometer..overdrive..speed sensor..solenoid

My speedometer on my 1994 dodge dakota just started bouncing around and at the same time the transmission started shifting into and out of overdrive for no reason. I replaced the speed sensor, and now the speedo stays at zero and it won't shift into overdrive at all, the only code I get from key is 3-6, air switching solenoid, but not sure if related
check engine light comes on couple minutess after start driving. I haven't had a cat in this for eight years. Homer
Not to be dumb but want to make sure the correct sensor was replaced. Where was it located? Also did the gear that turns the sensor turn and not damaged?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the one furthest to the rear, not the one on transfer case
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am not sure about the second part?

In the differential?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no, the one on the tranny, closest to the drive shaft but still on tranny need to replace the one on the transfer case as it is for the speedometer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok, but will this effect the shifting into overdrive? and when I disconnected the other one to see if it was it, the speedo stopped bouncing and went to zero.

The sensor will effect the transmission shifting. The only way to know for sure if the sensor is bad would be to see if sending a signal to the computer, but the one in the transfer case is the one for the speedometer.