Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.

2006 dodge ram 3500: I test my cps and tackometer

Have a 2006 dodge ram 3500 cummins. Tachometer problem. how do I test my cps and tackometer. Tach bounces everywhere

Hello Sir or Madam. Welcome to justanswer!

Is the check engine light on with the engine running?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not the CPS. The tach itself is bad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

how do I verify this, can I replace the tack with an autometer or something similar

The tach gets its signal through the data bus from the computer. Have an actuator test done on the cluster and that will tell right away. Not sure how an Autometer would hook up to your system.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i have been told both replace the cluster or replace the sensor, cluster would cost me $550.00 !!!! is it difficult to replace the instrument cluster if need be?

Its not the sensor as the check engine light would be on. the cluster is easy to change and theres many places online that fix them. One I know of is
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
anywhere that has instructions on how to switch the cluster out?

Yes, see the file below:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll give it a try...thanks a mill! I just I could make sure that it WASN'T the cam sensor...before going through the trouble. I also noticed on the pdf that the central instrument panel had been removed. does this need to be done to reach the 2 screws on the right side of the bezel?

No prob and thank you. Ill repost the file also ill put in a test for you to check the cluster. Download the file and keep it...