ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master tech / and dodge ,jeep,and chrysler certified thec,with 28 years exp on general automotiv

2007 Dodge Charger 3.5 V6, the electronic throttle control

2007 Dodge Charger 3.5 V6, the electronic throttle control light turns on and the car runs terrible if the car has been sitting overnight or if it's cold outside. After you shut off the ignition and restart it it's ok. No OBD codes, and the dealer has replaced the throttle body. Anytime the outside temperature is below 80 degrees and the car has been sitting for a few hours it will do this
Category: Dodge
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
ricardo hohl :

hi, is the battery ok? does the engine crancks fast enough to start? batterys being low are well known to cause problems with electronic throttles.

ricardo hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ase master tech / and dodge ,jeep,and chrysler certified thec,with 28 years exp on general automotiv
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Battery works just fine. this happens all the time in the morning, regardless of temperature, and more often in cold weather (like when the car has been sittiing for just a few hours)
if you have an scanner can you take a look at the temperature sensor reading at the time when is running bad or acting up. also the air temperature sensor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My scanner will is an Actron that will just read codes, not the ind where I can tell what all the sensor points are reading at the moment. Anytimwe the outside air temp is below about 80 degrees anf the car has sat for more than a few hours, it will run poorly and the warning light will come on until I stop the car and restart the ignition

when the ETC light goes on can you drive over 35 miles per hour? and are you sure the engine light does not go on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It will usually do it after I start the car in the morning or as I'm heading up the street from my house, and the car loses power, so I have to pullover and restart it. The ETC light flashes, but the engine light does not come on and there are never any codes
are you sure they replace the ECT?, because if there was a problem with the program on the computer then the light would go on, and if it was a wire problem it will turn the light on also , the only time this would not turn the light on is when the pcm computer is not seeing any problems with the circuit.i found a TSB that the factory released about this problem and it puts you through a diagnostics test and ends up with a pcm or computer problem please copy or print this page read it and i will be back with you in 2 hours, thank you.

P050D-COLD START ROUGH IDLE

For a complete wiring diagram consult Diagrams/Electrical .

Theory of Operation

Spark adjustment during a cold start is intended to provide quick response to idle speed variations. The PCM monitors spark advance on a cold start over a period of time, then compares the average spark advance to a threshold.

• When Monitored: During a cold start condition, with the difference between the AAT and ECT at startup below 10°C, and the engine running at idle.
  • Set Condition: The PCM detects that engine speed is 50 RPM or more (depending on vehicle specifications) below target idle speed for more than 3 seconds, and the average spark advance is above the failure threshold for more than the specified limit. Two trip fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. See: Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview.

Diagnostic Test

1. ACTIVE DTC

NOTE: Low battery voltage can cause excessive current draw in very hot and very cold ambient temperatures. Look closely at the temperatures at which this DTC set and make sure the battery can pass a load test before continuing.

NOTE: Diagnose and repair any other DTCs set in the PCM before proceeding with this test.

Turn the ignition on.
With the scan tool, select View DTCs and review the DTC environmental information.
Is the good trip counter greater than 0?

Yes

No

• Go to 2

2. THROTTLE PLATE INSPECTION
Turn the ignition off.
Remove the air cleaner assembly.
Check for any signs of a foreign material (ice, dirt, or excessive carbon build up) on the throttle plate or in the bore causing the throttle plate to stick.
Were any problems found?

Yes

No

• Go to 3

3. DIRTY AIR FILTER
Remove and inspect the air filter.
Were any problems found?

Yes

No

• Go to 4

4. CONTAMINATED FUEL
Inspect the fuel for contamination. (dirt, water, or other foreign material)
Were any problems found?

Yes

No

• Go to 5

5. EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (K124) ETC MOTOR (+) CIRCUIT
Turn the ignition off.

CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install Miller Special Tool #8815 along with the #8815-1 to perform the diagnosis.

Using a voltmeter, perform a voltage drop test by backprobing the (K124) ETC Motor (+) circuit at the Throttle Body harness connector and by probing the appropriate terminal of the special tool #8815. Make sure the voltmeter leads are connected so that positive polarity is displayed on the voltmeter.

WARNING: When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts, or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury or death.

Start the engine.
Is the voltage below 0.5 volts?

Yes

• Go to 6

No

6. EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (K126) ETC MOTOR (-) CIRCUIT
Turn the ignition off.

Using a voltmeter, perform a voltage drop test by backprobing the (K126) ETC Motor (-) circuit at the Throttle Body harness connector and by probing the appropriate terminal of the special tool #8815. Make sure the voltmeter leads are connected so that positive polarity is displayed on the voltmeter.

Start the engine.
Is the voltage below 0.5 volts?

Yes

• Go to 7

No

7. THROTTLE BODY
Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect special tool #8815-1 from the C2 PCM harness connector.

NOTE: Use special tool #8815 to avoid possible damage to the Throttle Body harness connector.

Measure the resistance of the ETC Motor by probing the appropriate terminals of special tool #8815 for the (K124) ETC Motor (+) circuit and the (K126) ETC Motor (-) circuit.
Is the resistance between 2.5 and 25 ohms at closed throttle?

Yes

• Go to 8

No

8. POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the Throttle Body and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.
Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals.
Search for any Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.
Were any problems found?

Yes

No

nd i will get back to you in about 2 hours thank you.

Edited by ricardo hohl on 8/7/2010 at 3:09 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The throttle body was replaced.The only time I can count on this not happening is when it's hot outside or if the car is warmed up. I would think if it was a wiring problem it would just happen anytime
yes but still it will set a code read the page before this one i updated the page make sure you copy or print the page in 5 minutes will be deleted.