sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1995 dodge intrepid: limp mode, corrects..restart..rebuilt..solenoid

Customer Question

1995 dodge intrepid keeps going into limp mode, corrects upon restart. The transmission was just rebuilt (thought that was the problem), computer replaced, solenoid replaced. What else could it be? Repair shop insists it was a good rebuild. Says it is probably electrical and they can't fix it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you know what fault codes are setting?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

For a while it said solenoid - so they changed that twice. The check engine light went off and it ran well for about a week. Then the check engine light came on intermittantly and said O sensor. Haven't changed that yet, don't want to put any more money into it yet. But now it is going into limp mode again. They say the O sensor would not cause limp mode. The transmission place is a reputable place, with good reviews and no BBB complaints, but they're stumped. He says he might try another computer - this will be the third used computer (fortunately they warranty their work and parts for a year and honor that). They say they've checked electrical connections as well as they are able, but they are not electrical specialists. They changed the grounding wires which were in pretty bad shape. The computer resets everytime it is restarted, but that is not convient in the middle of traffic! So they think it is a bad computer, or electrical, because they are sure the transmission is OK. Can it be anything else? You can call them if you want - it is McCarty's tranmissions at XXX-XXX-XXXX. Talk to Ronnie. Tell him its the Maley 1995 intrepid.

Is it possible to get the actual fault code descriptions for me? Contact outside of JA is prohibited so I wouldn't be able to call them and the phone number is XXXXX'd out anyway. If it's setting codes that seem to be solenoid related it's not going to be the trans, it's an electrical issue. I can help you with it more if I can get the actual code descriptions that are set. Maybe between you and I and the shop we can get it figured out if they aren't electrically inclined.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HE SAYS IT WAS "LOW AND REVERSE SOLENOID CIRCUIT ERROR", HE DOESN'T REMEMBER THE EXACT CODE.

That's enough of a description. I take it this is the only code that sets?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I GUESS SO.

Ok great.

The low/reverse solenoid is in the solenoid pack mounted on top the valve body, which they have replaced. We should hopefully be able to rule out the solenoid.

The solenoid is controlled by the TCM, and the TCM could definitely be bad and cause this code. Since the TCM has been replaced a couple times we should be able to rule it out too, as long as this code has always been the same one that sets.

That leaves only the wire between the TCM and the solenoid pack that controls the low/reverse solenoid. I"I've seen some issues with the wiring harness that runs from the right strut tower area down to the trans, and that's where I would expect your problem is. Rather than open up the harness and try to find the problem, or replacing the whole harness, it would be cheaper and easier to hardwire this circuit. What I would recommend them doing is to run a new wire from pin 20 of the TCM to pin 6 of the solenoid pack connector. This is a light blue wire. Solder the connections and seal them with heatshrink tubing, and cut the original wire out of the circuit. This should take care of your problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sounds reasonable to me! Smile

I'm passing the info on to my mechanic to see what he thinks. I'll let you know if he has anymore questions.

Great, let me know if you need any more help!
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My mechanic said he'll give it a try. Thanks.

You're welcome, and good luck!