Roland
Roland, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified for 10 years, Been working in Dodge Dealerships since 1992

How do I remove the dash on my 2006 dodge ram mega cab with

Customer Question

How do I remove the dash on my 2006 dodge ram mega cab with a full floor mounted console. I have to replace the AC air diverter.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Roland replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Roland :

techCONNECT Content

HVAC HOUSING ASSEMBLY

WARNING: Refer to the applicable warnings and cautions for this system before performing the following operation (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Plumbing - Warning) and (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Plumbing - Caution) . Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

WARNING: Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to follow these instructions may result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury.

NOTE: The HVAC housing must be removed from the vehicle and disassembled for service of the A/C evaporator, evaporator temperature sensor, mode-air and blend-air doors.

Full Size Image

1.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

2.Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Plumbing - Standard Procedure) .

3.Drain the engine cooling system (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure) .

4.Disconnect the A/C liquid line and the A/C accumulator from the A/C evaporator (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Plumbing/LINE, A/C Liquid - Removal) and (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Plumbing/ACCUMULATOR - Removal) .

5.Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.

6.Remove the powertrain control module (PCM) to gain access to the two nuts (3) that secure the HVAC housing (1) to the engine compartment side of the dash panel (2) and remove the nuts (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Powertrain Control - Removal) .

Full Size Image

7.Remove the instrument panel from the passenger compartment (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/PANEL, Instrument - Removal) .

8.Remove the bolt (5) that secures the HVAC housing (4) to the floor bracket (6).

9.Remove the two nuts (3 and 7) that secure the HVAC housing to the passenger compartment side of the dash panel (1).

10.Pull the HVAC housing assembly rearward and remove the housing assembly from the passenger compartment.

11.If required, remove the fresh air inlet (2) from the dash panel (1).

Roland :

techCONNECT Content

REMOVAL

WARNING: On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, seat belt tensioner, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and personal or fatal injury .

2.Remove the front seat assembly, (Refer to 23 - Body/Seats/SEAT - Removal) .

3.Remove the left A-pillar trim (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/PANEL, A-Pillar Trim - Removal) .

4.Disconnect the headliner wire harness connector located at the A-pillar.
Roland :

seat removal and center console

techCONNECT Content

seat REMOVAL

1.Before proceeding with the following repair procedure, review all warnings and cautions. (Refer to 23 - Body/Seats - Warning)

NOTE: Do not reuse the seat fasteners, always replace with new ones.

2.If equipped, remove the floor console as necessary, (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/CONSOLE, Floor - Removal) .

3.Remove and discard the front bolts (4).

4.Position the seats (1) forward, remove the rear bolts (2) and discard.

5.Disconnect the electrical connectors (1).

Full Size Image

6.Fold the seat backs forward and roll the seat assembly back in the vehicle.

7.Remove and discard the nuts (2 and 4) on either the driver or passenger side.

8.Separate the seat assembly by removing and discarding the nuts (4) on either the drivers or passengers seat.

9.Remove each section of the seat assembly from the vehicle.

Roland :

Console Removal

techCONNECT Content

Full Floor Console

2.Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, separate the seven front console bezel clips (2), lift up the back of the bezel (1) and remove.

3.Remove the bolts (1) and lift the rear of the base up to release the front guide pins (5).

4.Remove the front base (2).

5.Remove and discard the front bolts (4).

6.Position the seats forward, remove the rear bolts (2) and discard.

7.Disconnect the 12v power supply electrical connector (3 - if equipped).

8.Fold the seat backs forward and roll the seat assembly (1) back in the vehicle.

9.Remove the nuts (2) attaching the center seat console (1) to the drivers seat and the passenger seat and discard.

10.Remove the nuts (4) attaching the center console (2) to the drivers seat (3) and the passenger seat in the rear of the seat and discard.

11.Disconnect the electrical connector (1 - if equipped).

12.Roll the seat assembly forward and remove the center seat console.

Customer:

I get an error message every time I click on the blue "full size image" and reference number headings. Also the instructions read like the air conditioner has to be removed, along with the front seats. The picture I got off the shows the dash raised up to gain access to the panel to get to the diverter, but there are no instructions as to how to disassemble everything.

Roland :

no all the links will work It will take me some time to make all the links work if you need them all

Roland :

Not all the links will work sorry missed the t

Roland :

When you say the AC air diverter are you talking about the recirculate door, blend door, mode door?

Roland :

depending on which door or actuator will determine the disassemble instructions

Customer:

The problem I am having occurs when the AC blower is turned on, you can hear the fan blowing high speed, but there is very little if any air coming through the vents. According to another set of pictures I got from the internet, it states that the problem is a broken air door AKA recirculator door.

Roland :

are you by the truck?

Roland :

Do you have the new parts yet?

Customer:

No but it is parked in the yard.

Customer:

no new parts yet. I want to make sure what the problem is before I buy anything.

Roland :

Can you remove the glove box door and see if you can see the actuator for the recirculator door. This would be to the right off the open towards the top of the dash.

Roland :

The other thing you can do to see if it is the door. Remove the blower motor and when you put your hand up into the opening you will fell the door laying right on top of the blower motor housing in the heater box.

Roland :

You can remove the door through the blower motor opening to remove the restriction. This door is for when you need max AC it will pull the air from inside the vehicle instead of outside air.

Customer:

I cant do it tonight .I have no light in the yard. How about in the morning about 9:00 AM?

Roland :

I will be on about 1:00 tomorrow if that will be ok.

Roland :

If you can see the actuator through the glove box you can replace the door and actuator with out removing the dash.

Roland :

The new part from chrysler will be an assemble but I would remove the actuator, white plastic door lock, and the door and install in the old housing.

Roland :

Without all the work of the dash.

Customer:

That sounds good to me. How do I get in touch with you about 1:00 PM tomorrow?

Customer:

Very good. I will talk to you tomorrow. Thanks a lot. George

Roland :

Glad I can help

Customer:

Roland,

Customer:

I'm here. Are you available?

Roland :

yes I am here. How can I help you

Customer:

Good afternoon---This morning I was able to drop the blower motor,without going through the glove compartment. I got the broken door out without any problem. I will go to the dealer tomorrow to pick up the new part. The only question I have now is will I have a problem lining up the new door in that tight space?

Roland :

You still will need to remove the glove box to see if you can see the actuator on the top of the heater box. If you can see it then you can replace it with out removing the dash.

Roland :

Do you have Sirrus Satilite

Customer:

No but we have Dish Network.

Roland :

In the truck.

Roland :

Sirrus Satillite Radio

Customer:

No

Roland :

then you should be able to remove the actuator first then the white plastic holder. You will need a stubby phillips screwdriver to remove the screws that hold the actuator in place. When you get the new parts you will see where the screws are to remove.

Customer:

Ok I will give that a try tomorrow after I pick up the part.

Roland :

When you get the new assemble you will need to remove the actuator, white plastic and the door. The actuator and white plastic will need to come out from the actuator. The white plastic you will need to get a pocket screwdriver to pop the white plastic out of the housing.

Customer:

Ok thank you

Roland :

your welcome