Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2006 dodge ram 2500 5.9 a/c not cooling compressor full of freon

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Is compressor engaging?

How did you check to make sure that refrigerent is at proper level- did you have it evacuated and weighed?

What are the high and low pressure readings?

Did it stop cooling all at once, or gradually over time?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

compressor is not engaging they chech high and low side whit gages

and they told me is betwen normal readins it started once for a few seconds

and then stop completely but the mechanic told me that the compressor is receiving signal

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, if pressures are normal and that compressor is receiving voltage and signal to engage but is not engaging, then the compressor clutch is bad. It can be replaced by itself without replacing entire compressor, but a shop would need to do it as it requires ac speciality tools to remove and install new clutch assembly and shim it properly. Parts and labor should run around $400-450

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he's thinking compressor coil
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

The coil is part of the compressor clutch assembly.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

if you have further questions, feel free to ask for more help, otherwise click the accept button to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a paysite and expert is not paid for their time, experience or knowledge until you do so

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i just got back from the mechanic it says that the compresor it's not getting signal

an the control actuator it's sending signal but he says that the computer of the truck

also regulates a/c wich i dont think so. are you pretty familiar with dodge a/c systems?

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I am extremely familiar with them.

Yes, the ac signal does go thru the pcm(powertrain control module), as does several other things such as alternator voltage control, but it is rare for it to be the cause.

the most common reason for no signal is a faulty automatic ac climate control head. If yours has digital controls, this is the likely reason.

It can be tested, but will require a Dodge scanner with AC control and testing functions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No it's not digital, the climate control head it's also called actuator ?

I have a alarm system viper 5900, that alow's the truck to run with out the key on the ignition, also i use to cool down turbo, could that be one reason for damage to electronic components

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

No, the climate control head is the control panel inside the cab that you use to select the the ac/heat and fan switch. The only actuators are the ones on the hvac housing that open and shut the ac/heat blend door and airflow doors for the floor/vents/defroster.

do you know if he tested the low pressure switch? A low pressure switch will cause the compressor to not get a signal as well. It is located by the accumulator by the firewall

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its' not getting signal either.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, the next thing is to start tracing the wiring harness from the compressor back to see if there is a short/open in wiring harness. Look for any wires that are chafed or have cuts in the insulator on the wires.

If ok, check for power out at pin #41 for ac at the pcm on connector #2:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig.

40RDFUSED B(+)
41LB/ORA/C CLUTCH RELAY CONTROL
42--
43BR/ORFAN CLUTCH CONTROL
44DG/BR (A/T)OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL
45DG/VT (A/T)SPEED SENSOR GROUND
46VTS/C SWITCH NO. 1 SIGNAL
47DB/VTBATT TEMP SIGNAL
48BR/VTAPPS NO. 2 RETURN
49BKGROUND
50BKGROUND

Ram ECM C2 Connector Pinout (2 of 2)

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.