sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

dodge durango: thermostat, the radiator hose..flush..put new

My dodge durango 2004 4.7 engine is overheating. I change the thermostat, the radiator hose and flush the radiator put new anti freeze and still overheating , What should i do now?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

When does it overheat? Does it do it while driving at higher speeds or with higher engine loads?

Or does it just happen while stopped and low speeds?

How got does it get?

Did it come on suddenly or gradually?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it overheats while driving at high speed

So it doesn't overheat if you are idling or driving at low speeds?

How hot does it get?

Did it come on gradually or suddenly?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
gradully it gose up to H
This is very likely the radiator. This isn't unheard of on vehicles with a 4.7. Some of the cores will get restricted and not flow or not flow as much, and it effectively reduces the size of the radiator. The engine will heat up more under a load when this happens because of the increased engine heat being produced. I've seen this in the shop, and have had first hand experience with my own 2004 truck at around 70,000 miles.

With the engine at full operating temperature, use an infrared thermometer or your hand to feel the temperature of the outside of the front of the radiator (away from the fan). The top left of the radiator should be the hottest, the bottom right should be the coolest. There should be a gradual temperature change across the radiator. When cores get restricted there will be spots in the radiator that are cooler than the rest because there is no flow through them.

Flushing the radiator won't have much effect on the problem if any, since flushing it will not force through the restricted cores. It's easier for liquid to flow through cores that aren't restricted, and it just takes the path of least resistance and flows through the cores that are the easiest. The radiator would need to be pulled out and taken to a radiator shop to be rodded out, or replaced.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i thought it was the gasket and put some gasket fix solution in the radiator will that affect the car now or should i flush the radiator again to get that solution out.
I would flush it back out, personally. Stop leak products are meant to plug holes, and they can sometimes stop external coolant leaks, but they will also plug passages in the cooling system. These products will block passages in the radiator, heater core, the engine and the headgaskets.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how much u think a new radiator would cost me
A Mopar radiator from your dealer will run about $287, and an aftermarket one should be a bit cheaper.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I put the stop leak product into the radiator today thats probably why its overheating faster now. If i flush it out tomorrow will the problem persist or what is my best option.
You were having overheating problems before the stop leak was put in though, right? If you were having problems before it was put in you will probably still have problems after flushing it back out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your time I will get back to you tomorr if I have any further question

You're welcome, and good luck!