Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist

I have a2003 ram 1500 4x4. How do I replace the lower ball

I have a2003 ram 1500 4x4. How do I replace the lower ball joints?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me....

The lower ball joints need to be pressed out of the control arm, so you will need a ball joint press and you can likely rent one from a parts store.

• Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  • Remove the brake caliper and rotor
  • Disconnect the tie rod from the steering knuckle
  • Remove the steering knuckle
  • Move the halfshaft to the side and support the halfshaft out of the way (If Equipped).
  • NOTE: Extreme pressure lubrication must be used on the threaded portions of the tool. This will increase the longevity of the tool and insure proper operation during the removal and installation process .

• Press the ball joint from the lower control arm
  • Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    How do I remove steering knuckle?
    1. Raise and support the vehicle.
    2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
    3. Remove the brake caliper, rotor shield and ABS wheel speed sensor if equipped
    4. Remove the front halfshaft nut (if equipped).
    5. Remove the tie rod end nut. Separate the tie rod from the knuckle with Remover 8677.

CAUTION: When installing Remover 8677 to separate the ball joint, be careful not to damage the ball joint seal.

6. Remove the upper ball joint nut. Separate the ball joint from the knuckle with Remover 8677
    7. Remove the lower ball joint nut. Separate the ball joint from the knuckle with Remover 8677 and remove the knuckle.
    8. Remove the hub/bearing from the steering knuckle

Instead of the special tools to separate the ball joint from the knuckle you can use a hammer and give the control arm a few good whacks.

Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
    Experience: 24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist