Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2008 Dodge Avenger: serious is codes p200 and P2017

Customer Question

How serious is codes P2004 and P2017 on 2008 Dodge Avenger and what could be problem. Was scheduled to drive from california to chicago on Friday.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

There is a reflash for your computer for this code. There is a TSB for the code p2004 Here it is.

SUBJECT:

Flash: MIL Illumination with DTC P2004

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the GPEC Powertrain Control

Module (PCM) with new software and replacing the intake manifold as required.

CAUTION: VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A CVT TRANSMISSION MUST HAVE THE

TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM) CHECKED FOR THE LATEST

SOFTWARE LEVEL WHENEVER THE PCM SOFTWARE IS UPGRADED. IF

NEWER TCM SOFTWARE IS AVAILABLE, IT MUST BE INSTALLED.

MODELS:

2007- 2008 (JS) Avenger

2007 (JS) Sebring

2008 (JS27) Sebring Convertible

2007 (MK49) Compass

2007 (MK74) Patriot

2007 (PM) Caliber

NOTE: This bulletin applies to models equipped with a 1.8L, 2.0L or 2.4L gasoline

engine (Sales Code EBA, ECN or ED3) as follows: Flash portion applies to

PM/MK models built through April 21, 2007 (MDH 0421XX) and JS models

built through May 15, 2007 (0515XX). The Intake Manifold Replacement

portion applies to models built through March 22, 2007 (MDH0322XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Some customers may experience MIL Illumination with no other symptoms. The condition

may occur intermittently. Further investigation by the technician may find DTC P2004 -

Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open as the cause for MIL Illumination.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is this something that needs to be taken care of right away and what is the estimated cost? Also is this something that can only be fixed at dealer?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

YES... the dealership can fix this type of problem. If it turns out just to be a re flash that is needed, it should not be more than a few hundred bucks. If the engine is running ok, then it should be ok to drive for a little while until you get a chance to get to the dealership.

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What would cause the intake manifold runner to get stuck open and how do I know if it is only the reflash that need to be replace. The dealer is telling me that the hold manifold part need to be replaced to the tune of $634.

I will give you credit for your time, however I am just not clear on what need to be done. What chances do I have of making it to Chicago with the intake runner stuck open.

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

If your engine is running rough or is just ot running right... then it could be your intake manifold runner getting stuck open. Usually the fix for this is to replace the entire intake manifold.

However, if your engine is running good, then chances are you just need a re flash. The only way to know for sure is to have a tech plug into your computer and see if the re flash has been done or not.

Worst case scenario, the intake runner is stuck open or closed and the intake needs to be replaced... you should still be able to drive your vehicle... it might not perform the best and the gas mileage will not be good, but it should not leave you stranded.

Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

You bet!

Thanks for the accept!

Let me know if you have any further questions!