Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I have a 2001 Dodge Durango 4.7L. The truck wont turn over

I have a 2001 Dodge Durango 4.7L. The truck wont turn over at all. I've already changed the battery, the starter, and the ignition switch, and switched the relay and checked the fuses. The truck would start when it wanted too, and now it doesn't want to turn on at all.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

DOes the check engine light come on with the key in the on position? Any security lights on or flashing on the dash?

DOes the instrument cluster work with the key on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No check engine light and no security lights on or flashing. everthing looks fine as if you were starting the truck up.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
So the starter does not even engage at all when you try to start the engine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, when the truck would turn on when it wanted too. I started with the starter and it turn on and ran fine. then it started doing it again where it would turn on when it wanted too. but now it doesn't do anything
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
HAve we checked the signal ot the starter with the key in the crank position?

Are we missing a signal to the starter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was getting ready to do that, but the reason I came here was on the Haynes repair manual it show the ignition switch start position pinout to have continuity at pins 2 and 4, and 13 and 14. On my old switch and the new switch pins 13 and 14 do not have continuity, is this correct? or is the book wrong
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
I could answer that is I say the wiring diagram... but I do not have access to Haynes manuals.

Have you checked the starter signal? WHat about the signal out of the ignition switch?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do I do that?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Go down to the starter and check for voltage on both the small and big terminal while someone turns the key to the crank position. BOTH terminals need to have FULL battery voltage with the key in the crank position.

Obviously, be sure the battery and connections are in good shape. BE sure that the fuses under the hood are all getting battery voltage. THis will ensure that there are good connections at the battery and fuses.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the voltages are good what would be the next thing to look for?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
IF in fact both terminals of the starter have full battery voltage with the key in the crnak position and the starter is not engaging, either the new starter is bad, the motor is locked up or the engine block does not have a good ground.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But what would make the truck turn on when it wanted too? before it finally stopped turning on
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
You mean the truck would just crank over by itself?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I would use the truck all day no problems and then it wouldn't turn over. like when I got home, until the next day and then it would be ok all day. I mean like starting it 5 times all day and then it wouldn't do it anymore. It's like something was getting hot and then had to cool down. but now it won't even do that. So, that when i changed the battery. and then the ignition switch.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

It is an intermittent problem..

Ok.. so now we are back to square one right? It does not even crank over?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Ok.. well if you do this test, it will lead you in the right direction. If there is no signal to the starter with the key in the crank position, then maybe you just have a bad neutral safety switch or something simple like that. If there is no power on the big wire of the starter, then you simply just have a bad connection from the battery to the starter.

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!
Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.