brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2003 dodge durango: The oil pressure light came on..towed..drained

I have a 2003 dodge durango. The oil pressure light came on. I had it towed to a dodge dealer who changed the oil switch and drained the oil and changed the filter. alot of sludge and black oil came out. he told me to drive the truck for 1000 miles and come back for another oil change. Pressure is still on low and check gages light is on. I called back today and he said continue to drive for 1000 miles. is it ok to still drive this truck?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
If the light is on and the sensor has been replaced then the oil pressure is most likely low. What they are trying to do is clean out the sludge as if the oil pick up is restricted the engine wont get enough oil.......That being said the answer to your question is NO it is NOT ok to run the vehicle as is it has low oil pressure it can damage the engine. If they feel the problem is the sludge then the oil pan should be removed and cleaned along with the screen (or replace the screen) other wise you take a chance on more damage!