sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2000 Dodge Ram 2500: restart..needs replacing..lift pump..a retro kit

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 6-speed diesel that all of a sudden quit while on the road and will not restart. Currently at a shop now - mechanic mentioned the following codes were found: P0254, P1688, P1689, and P0217. I understand the first 3 are related to the VP44 and he suggested it needs replacing along with the lift pump (which was replaced 2 years ago as part of a retro kit done at Dodge). He is basing his diagnosis solely on the codes. He also thinks the P0217 is related to the issues and isn't concerned about that. Any suggestions? A new VP44 - even rebuilt - is not what I have in the budget.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P0254 is fuel injector pump fuel valve current too high.

P1688 is internal injector pump failure.

P1689 sets when the ECM cannot communicate with the injector pump module.

P0217 sets when the ECM derates engine power to bring engine temperature down when it's overheating.

Three of the codes you have set are a cut and dry internal failure of the injector pump. It's definitely going to need to be replaced, but the transfer pump is going to be ok. If you've already had it relocated to the fuel tank by your dealer then it won't need to be replaced now.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for looking into this. The local mechanic here said - again just from reading codes and not running any tests - that what probably happened is that the lift pump went, which then caused the VP44 to die. He has a lift pump on order with plans to install tomorrow to see if that fixes problem before ordering a VP44. Any way to test the lift pump first?

Also any idea on P0217? My exhaust and engine temps were normal when truck died.

The P0217 is a pretty common code that sets and is found when reading codes for other problems. If you aren't noticing any overheating problems I woudln't worry about it.

I have to wonder if they know this truck has already been converted to the in tank pump. It's not uncommon for the block mounted pumps to fail and take out the injector pump (setting a P0216), but the in tank pumps don't have this problem. I highly doubt you need to replace the in tank pump, especially at 2 years old. Make sure they check fuel volume from the pump before going through the expense of replacing it, I don't think you need it.

These codes all point to an electrical failure in the pump module, mounted on top the injector pump. Starving the pump of fuel because of a failed transfer pump can't cause any of these codes to set anyway. I don't expect replacing the transfer pump to change anything, even if it's found to be weak.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't mention the lift pump was replaced with the retro kit yet - had just found paperwork. Will tell him tomorrow.

So if I understand you correctly, have him check fuel volume from the lift pump to make sure it is at correct volume? Any idea what it should be?

If fine, then new injector pump is needed? Can't just replace the electrical module?

I'd bet that he didn't even look to see if the transfer pump is working or not. If he's ordered one he's assuming that it's still the original pump in it's original location and hasn't even done any testing, or he would have found that it's now in the tank. He's going to need to check for volume from the transfer pump, and if the pump is working then it's ok and don't let him replace it.

The pump should flow about 520 mL in 10 seconds of operation.

Either way if the transfer pump is good or not you are going to need to replace the injector pump. The three codes you have are internal electrical failures. The injector pump module that is mounted to the pump is part of the pump and is only serviced with it as an assembly.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok - thanks much for the help!! He hasn't looked or done any testing - just reading the codes. One last thing - while waiting for your answer I did the key method and the only code that showed up was P1693. Is this related?
P1693 sets in the powertrain control module when there are codes stored in the ECM. The PCM is the module located on the firewall that controls trans, a/c and other functions. It communicates with the ECM and knows when codes have set in it, and sets the P1693. That one is just informational and tells you the ECM has something to tell you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok - thanks again. Lastly - this a normal thing like wear and tear? Has 170K miles
If you've never had to replace the injector pump in 170,000 miles you've done great. It was pretty common for these engines to have the pump replaced before the 100,000 mile Cummins warranty ran out. It gave you more miles than many owners saw out of theirs.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist