sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have a 2005 Dodge Stratus that idles rough/misses when i

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Dodge Stratus that idles rough/misses when i turn on fan-A/C and has even shut off at a red light... single mom not a lot of money... help!!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Which engine do you have?

Let's see if any fault codes are stored. Cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on and watch the digital odometer display. Don't crank the starter, just off to on. The codes start with a P and have four numbers, there may be more than one stored. Write down any that you see and post them here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok will do, i am at work right now, will post in the morning, i know it's the sxt model, will get the engine as well thank you

Sounds great, just let me know whenever you can. Have a great night!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i know it's a 2.4L 4 cylinder automatic, will post codes in the moen, thank you sooooo much!

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey i switched my car off to on( not start engine) but to where all the dash lights came on 3 times and no P codes came up, just the PRND3 and the mileage....does it take a few mins for codes to show or would it be immediate?

No, it will show up right away. Try it again a few times and you'll get the hang of it.

Get in and close the doors. Put the key in and turn it one click forward, this is off. One click forward of that is on. Start with it off and go on, off, on, off, on and the odometer will change and show codes. REmember to not crank the starter, just off to on.

HERE is a short video I made showing the process.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok on my dash there is only 1 digital display i clicked it 3 times and it goes straight to done no codes appear on the odometer

If it says done then that means there are no codes stored.

The first thing I'll mention is a condition called flashover. This happens when spark takes a path along the outside of the spark plug porcelain so it can't properly fire the plug. This will cause some roughness like you have described and isn't uncommon on this engine. When this happens it will leave a black streak on the plug porcelain and gray streaking on the inside of the plug wire boot. This would require replacement of the spark plugs and wires together. If it's nearing 30,000 miles since the last time the car was tuned up then new plugs and wires are in order either way.

If you have a motor mount that is allowing for excessive movement of the engine and trans it can transmit more engine vibration through the body and feel like the engine is running rough.

These engines also have some normal shake and rough feel to them. If you have had the car for a while you will be familiar with this, but I thought I would mention it.

There are also a few software updates for the engine controller software which may help and idle undershoot problem. If nothing else is found wrong then you may want to have your dealer update the PCM software to the current level and see if that helps.

Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The car didn't/doesn't always idle rough, and it is occasional/ intermittent till i turn on the fan or ac. Then it seems to misfire/shudder and threatens to shut off and the tachometer starts fluctuating. I will need to look at my records and see when the last time i got a tune-up/plugs and wire replaced. I'm pretty good with keeping my car maintained as mantainance is a heck of a lot cheaper than repairs and it looks like the wires and plugs are where i can get to them. I thank you so much for your time and info i will keep you posted!

You're welcome, and good luck with your car!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just wanted to say thank you for the good advice on my Stratus, I changed out the spark plugs and wires like you suggested and my car now runs perfect!!! Thank you soooo much ! SIncerely, RachelLaughing

That's great, I'm glad to hear it. Thanks for the update!