vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified

2001 Dodge Intrepid: Im manual..exhaust system

I'm working on a 2001 Dodge Intrepid 3.2l. I'm replacing the transmission. In the repair manual it states to remove exhaust system. Does the entire system need removed? Usually you can remove a section. On this one I can't tell exactly how to do that. I would like someone with experience on this issue to let me know exactly what needs to be remove on this system and how.

Good afternoon, what you will need to remove is the majority of the exhaust system. First the front resonator and all the exhaust from there back will need to be removed. Then you will need to remove the entire left side catalytic converter assembly from the manifold. Then you will need to remove just the extension pipe from the right side catalytic converter and leave the right side catalytic converter bolted to the manifold.

The left side pipe is a one piece design with the catalytic converter made to it....the right side is a two piece design so just remove the lower portion.

If this answers your question then please press "ACCEPT "so that I may be paid for the time spent helping you. If you need more help then please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I have one other question. I've been trying to remove the band clamps. First there was a nut I had to remove. I figured this would release the clamp. But it didn't. I can figure out from there how to loosen it. The rust it's covered in doesn't help clarify things. I thought at first there was a second nut under the first. But I can get a socket to grap it. So now I'm not sure. I really appreciate the help..
I assume you are speaking of the one at the catalytic converter? This clamp may stay tight even after the nut is removed or loosened. I recommend removing the nut completely and then you may need to tap on the threaded stud to force the opposite side to release from the exhaust. Try to cover the studs with something if possible so as to not damage the threads (they do state to not reuse the clamps but I have to say that I have before). You may need to use a pry bar to get the other sides of the clamp to release as well. On the exhaust pipe clamps (flat style) you can loosen the nut the majority of the way off and tap on the stud as well to help loosen its grip also.