Thomas
Thomas, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic with 15 years exp.
3090273

My 2006 Dodge Charger will not shift out of park.

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Hello and welcome, can you hear it click at the shifter when you depress the brake? Also do your brake lights work?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The engine starts, brake lights come on when the pedal is depressed, and the "gate" for the shifter opens enough for me to slide the shifter right to the top of the shifter pattern.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Ok, the shift actuator is must likely the problem. I have replaced allot of shifter assemblies for the same problem
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The shift lock mechanism on Chrysler/ Dodge 300, Charger and Magnum is under engineered. The actuator works, as the gate allows the shifter to move sideways when the brake pedal is depressed. The lock mechanism, located in the console and connected to the actuator cable. The failure of this part is common.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Well it sounds like you have done your homework on the problem. Do you need replacement instructions?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. A pdf file came with my purchase of a billet replacement. It is very detailed and complete with photos. Feel free to keep the $23.00 deposit, as I am sure you put in a considerable amount of time researching your answer.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Thank you