David Dill
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC

how to change fuel filter on dodge 2500 blu tech diesel truck

Category: Dodge
Expert:  David Dill replied 4 years ago.

Here are the service manual instructions for replacing the fuel filter:

REMOVAL

Refer to maintenance schedules in this manual, or the Owner's Manual for recommended fuel filter replacement intervals.

Draining water from fuel filter canister:

The housing drain valve (3) serves two purposes. One is to partially drain the filter housing of excess water. The other is to partially drain the housing for fuel filter or heater element replacement.

The filter housing (1) should be partially drained whenever the water-in-fuel warning lamp remains illuminated. (Note that lamp will be illuminated for approximately two seconds when ignition key is initially placed in ON position for a bulb check).

1.A drain hose (4) is located at the bottom of drain valve. Place drain pan under drain hose.
2.With engine not running, rotate drain valve (3) approximately one revolutions to open it. Route the water in a fuel drain hose to an appropriate container and turn the key to the "ON" position. This will cycle the fuel pump for 2 seconds and drain the fluid from the fuel filter. Turn the key to the "OFF" position. Hand tighten drain valve after tightening.
3.If fuel heater element is being replaced, drain housing completely. Dispose of mixture in drain pan according to applicable regulations.
4.After draining operation, close and tighten drain valve (3).
5.Fuel Filter Replacement:
a.Remove left front tire/wheel.
b.Remove left front wheel splash shield.
c.Clean all debris from around filter canister (1) and canister head.
d.Disconnect WIF sensor electrical connector (5).
e.Open drain valve (3) two complete revolutions. Drain approximately 1 cup of fuel into a waste canister. Dispose of fuel according to environmental regulations.
f.Remove drain hose (4) from drain valve (3).
g.Use an oil filter type wrench to loosen filter (1). Continue removing filter by hand.

6.After fuel filter removal, also check and clean secondary filter screen. Press button (2) on quick-connect fitting. Disconnect fitting (1) from fitting (3). Unscrew fitting (3) from canister head to expose screen.

7.Clean screen (5) and check condition of O-ring (6).

NOTE: The WIF sensor is not a separately serviceable item. If diagnostics have led you to replace this sensor, then the whole fuel filter assembly (1) needs to be changed.
8.Water-In-Fuel (WIF) Sensor Replacement: The WIF sensor (2) is located on the bottom of the fuel filter housing.

9.Fuel Heater Element Replacement: The heater element (2) is located in the fuel filter housing (4).
a.Drain fuel filter. See previous steps.
b.Disconnect electrical connector (1).
c.Remove two mounting screws (3).
d.Remove fuel heater (2).

10.Check condition of fuel heater O-ring (2).

11.Drain Valve Replacement: The Drain Valve is located on the bottom of the fuel filter. This is not a separately serviceable item. If replacement is necessary, replace the entire filter/filter canister assembly.

12.Fuel Filter Head (Housing) Replacement:
a.If equipped, remove transmission dipstick tube from filter housing.
b.Remove all low-pressure fuel lines at filter housing
c.Remove housing from cylinder head.

David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience: 19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC