Daniel, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Dodge technician
17254274

1500 series: I have 1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 4x4 with 5.2 ltr..cluster

Customer Question

I have 1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 4x4 with 5.2 ltr 1500 series. The other day when I started the truck, I noticed that all the instruments in the cluster were not working. My cluster does not have the Tach. When the truck is started it goes through the diagnostic mode, then the ABS, Low Fuel, and the air bag light stay on and the mileage flashes. I was told to try replaced the ECU and the cluster, I did still does not work. The truck runs starts and runs super. I was now told it might be a body panel relay?? I have no clue what or where this would be. Does anyone have an idea what the problem maybe.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.

I would check with all fuse blocks and check all fuses. and relay's i did a b

it of extra checking and found testing.

For additional testing and inspection information please refer to Powertrain Management/Computers and Control Systems/ See: Body and Frame\Body Control Systems\Body Control Module

If all of the gauges and/or indicator lamps are inoperative, perform the Preliminary Diagnosis. If an individual gauge or Chrysler Collision Detection (CCD) data bus message-controlled indicator lamp is inoperative, go directly to the Self-Diagnostic Test. If an individual hard-wired indicator lamp is inoperative, go directly to the diagnosis for that lamp.

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, REFER TO AIR BAGS AND SEAT BELTS/AIR BAGS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY .

PRELIMINARY DIAGNOSIS

1. If the indicator lamps operate, but none of the gauges operate, go to Step 2. If all of the gauges and the data bus message-controlled indicator lamps are inoperative, go to Step 5.
  2. Check the fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
  3. Check for battery voltage at the fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.
  4. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster. Connect the battery negative cable. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) circuit cavity of the instrument cluster wire harness connector (connector A). If OK, go to the Self-Diagnostic Test. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the junction block fuse as required.
  5. Check the fused ignition switch output run/ start) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
  6. Turn the ignition switch to the On position and check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run/start) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 7. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the ignition switch as required.
  7. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Reinstall the instrument cluster. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Set the parking brake. The red brake warning lamp should light. If OK, go to Step 8. If not OK, go to Step 9.
  8. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Turn on the park lamps and adjust the panel lamps dimmer rheostat to the full bright position. The cluster illumination lamps should light. If OK, go to Step 10. If not OK, repair the power ground circuit from the instrument cluster wire harness connector (connector A) to ground as required.
  9. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run/start) circuit cavity of the instrument cluster wire harness connector (connector A). If OK, go to the Self-Diagnostic Test. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the junction block fuse as required.
  10. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster. Check for continuity between the logic ground circuit cavity of the instrument cluster wire harness connector (connector A) and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to the Self-Diagnostic Test. If not OK, repair the open circuit to ground as required.

SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST
The instrument cluster self-diagnostic test will put the instrument cluster into its self diagnostic mode. In this mode the instrument cluster can perform a self-diagnostic test that will confirm that the instrument cluster circuitry, the gauges, and the CCD data bus message-controlled indicator lamps are capable of operating as designed.

However, there may still be a problem with the CCD data bus, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) , the Airbag Control Module (ACM) , the Controller Antilock Brake (CAB) , or the inputs to one of these electronic control modules. Use a DRB scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures for testing of these components.

1. Begin the test with the ignition switch in the Off position.
  2. Depress the trip odometer reset button.
  3. While holding the trip odometer reset button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the On position, but do not start the engine.
  4. Keep the trip odometer reset button depressed for about ten seconds, until CHEC appears in the odometer display, then release the odometer reset button.
  5. A series of three-digit numeric failure messages may appear in the odometer display, depending upon the failure mode. If a failure message appears, see the Instrument Cluster Failure Message chart for the description and proper correction. If no failure message appears, the Self-Diagnostics will proceed as described in Step 6.
  6. The instrument cluster will begin the odometer walking segment test. This test will require the operator to visually inspect each odometer segment as it is displayed to determine a pass or fail condition. First, all of the segments will be illuminated at once; then, each individual segment of the odometer display will be illuminated in sequence. If any segment in the display fails to illuminate, repeat the test to confirm the failure. If the failure is confirmed, replace the faulty instrument cluster. Following the odometer walking segment test, the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Test will automatically proceed as described in Step 7.
  7. The instrument cluster will perform a bulb check of each indicator lamp that the instrument cluster circuitry controls. If an individual amber indicator lamp does not illuminate during this test, the instrument cluster should be removed. However, check that the incandescent lamp bulb is not faulty and that the bulb holder is properly installed on the instrument cluster circuit board before considering instrument cluster replacement. If the bulb and bulb holder check OK, replace the faulty instrument cluster. Each of the red indicators are illuminated by a Light Emitting Diode (LED). If an LED fails to illuminate during this test, the instrument cluster must be replaced. Following the bulb check test, the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Test will automatically proceed as described in Step 8.
  8. The instrument cluster will perform a gauge actuator test. In this test the instrument cluster circuitry positions each of the gauge needles at three different calibration points, then returns the gauge needles to their relaxed positions. If an individual gauge does not respond properly, or does not respond at all during the gauge actuator test, the instrument cluster should be removed. However, check that the gauge terminal pins are properly inserted through the spring-clip terminal pin receptacles on the instrument cluster circuit board before considering instrument cluster replacement. If the gauge terminal connections are OK, replace the faulty instrument cluster.
  9. The Self-Diagnostic Test is now completed. The instrument cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test, if the ignition switch is turned to the Off position during the test, or if a vehicle speed message indicating that the vehicle is moving is received from the PCM on the CCD data bus during the test.
  10. Go back to Step 1 to repeat the test, if required.
Daniel, Dodge Technician
Experience: Dodge technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where would the relays be located.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.

http://www.mediafire.com/?m4wdzqzyy53enwe open this pdf.

I want to include this excellent site on relay's

http://www.autoshop101.com/trainmodules/relays/123.html

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hi our question is done unless your happy. was there something you couldnt pull up?