Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 v8 with no heat. Heater core is not

Customer Question

2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 v8 with no heat. Heater core is not plugged and the blend door actuator does not turn when temp control is turned. Also, the a/c compressor engages when the to dash/floor air flow. Does it make sense that the problem could still be blend door (or actuator) or is it more likely the control?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

Remove the blend door actuator and see if the blend door can be moved by hand. If not, repair the door or heater case as needed. At the blend door actuator, test the wires. The Dark Blue wire should have battery voltage with the key "on". The Black/Light Green wire should be a ground. The Yellow/Orange wire should have varying voltage somewhere between 0 and 12 volts as the control head is turned from hot to cold and back again. If the voltage does not change, the control head is likely at fault.
If the voltage varies, then the actuator is likely at fault.

Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does it make sense that the A/C engaging when the air flow control is set to dash/floor would relate to this or is that more likely a separate issue? Can the acuator be removed without dropping the dash?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

THe AC coming on may be a separate issue. We will know once we have fully diagnosed one of these problems.

YES... you should be able to gain access to this actuator without removing the dash.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I will try it when I get home today. I haven't used this site before...If I hit the accept button, can I still reply later or would I have to ask another question?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
You can accept one of my answers now and we can still continue our conversation if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wasn't able to remove the blend door actuator. There's a screw toward the back that is pretty difficult to get to. I was able to get to the wires to measure the voltages and they are as you described. The blue is 12V and the Yellow/Orange wire varies from 12V with the temp set to cold down to about 7V or so in the middle and 0V when set to hot. I tried (not too hard) to move the actuator shaft by hand, but it didn't move. Should I be able to move it with the actuator still attached? Any tricks to gaining access to that screw other than a stubby or bent shaft screwdriver? I'd rather not drop the dash if I can avoid it.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

You should be able to move the actuator pretty easy by hand.

Let me do some research and see if I can get you any pictures that might be able to help you.

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Ok.. here is the procedure from alldata to remove and replace the blend air door actuator.

Turn the ignition switch to the run position.
Locate the temperature control knob in the mid (12 o'clock) position.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle. Refer to Instrument Panel System for the procedures.
Remove the HVAC housing from the vehicle..
Fig.24 Blend Door Actuator Remove/Install

Unplug the wire harness connector from the blend door actuator.
Remove the two mounting screws which secure the actuator to the housing.
Slide the blend door actuator off the blend door shaft. NOTE: A black plastic coupler may be attached to the blend door shaft. Remove the coupler and inspect for damage. Reinstall if there is no damage found.
INSTALLATION

NOTE: Before installing the blend door actuator, be certain that the blend door is not binding and is capable of full travel in both directions.

Align the actuator with the blend door shaft and rotate the actuator to align it to the mounting bosses on the HVAC housing.
Align and install the actuator screws. Tighten the mounting screws to 2.2 Nm (20 in. lbs.) .
Plug in the wire harness connector to the blend door actuator.
Install the HVAC housing in the vehicle.
Install the instrument panel in the vehicle. Refer to Instrument Panel System for the procedures.
Make sure the Temperature Control Knob is in the mid (12 o'clock) position to allow the actuator to automatically position itself in the mid position and come to a complete stop when powered up.
Connect the battery negative cable.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was able to get the actuator out without removing the dash. I can't turn it by hand, but if I open it up and take the motor out, all the gears turn individually. The motor shaft turns as well. I'm going to try hooking it back up to the connector with the gears removed just to see if the motor turns, but I may just buy a new actuator if I can find one (hopefully I can find it somewhere other than a dealer). The blend door can be moved by hand as well.

Hopefully the actuator problems resolves the A/C coming on at the wrong switch position as well.

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Excellent!

Sounds like you are right on track!

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I opened the actuator up and found a couple of the electronic components were charred. Any idea if that's normal for these things? I ordered a new one ($135.00) and would hate to hook it up and have it fry too. Anything else I should check before I install the new one?

Do you think whatever is causing the A/C to come on in the dash/floor switch postion could be related? Seems unlikely to me but thought it would be worth asking.

You've been right on so far! Thanks.

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay! I am having computer problems...

Have I have not come across anything that would cause it to go bad electronically. Just be sure to check the inputs...powers and grounds to be sure that they are ok.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks. The new part is supposed to be in tomorrow, so I'll let you know how things look after I get it installed.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One down! The actuator fixed the blend door problem. The A/C compressor still comes on when I switch to Dash/Floor air. I thought it should only come on when switched to Max, A/C, Defrost and Defrost/Floor. Am I right? If so, any suggestions on what to look for and where? I know the dash has been out before if that makes any difference.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

Excellent!

Glad to hear that the actuator fixed the problem!

Let me do some research for you and get back to you in a bit.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks. No rush, it's been a long day!
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Ok.. I looked in my references and cannot find anything specific on this matter. You could call your local dealership and ask them or get a subscription from alldat or Mitchell on demand and they should have all the information in there.

But if the AC is working just fine.. honestly... I would not worry about it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
LOL! That's the way I was leaning. Thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

You bet!

Good luck!