brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2001 ram 1500: stop light..corner, Idles fine..plug wires..spark plugs

I have 2001 ram 1500 w/ 5.9 runs fine in every way until it gets warm. Then it runs fine down the hwy but in town dies on every stop light and every corner, Idles fine in P or N but as soon as I shift into any gear it idles clear down and dies. Can't even go from P to N with out killing it changed plug wires and spark plugs didn't change a thing. Has been getting worse, a week ago it would just do it every once and a while now if it is warm can't even move the truck.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
Does the check engine light come on and if so any codes?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The engine light is on . Don't know how to get codes.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
Try this.......turn the key on and off three times. Do not crank the engine and leave the key on the last time and watch the odometer for numbers. It will look like this: ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK it had 2 -- P 0753 and P 1765
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.

These codes have to do with the transmission. Start by switching the transmission control relay with another relay like it and see if it makes any difference

Edited by brownjeff on 7/12/2010 at 1:49 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did do that last night , didn't do anything different. After you told me how to check the codes i tried to find out what they ment . what i saw on 1 web page was it could be the transmission shift solenoid and the overdrive solenoid. Could that be it and how big a pain is that to change? I would still prefer your opinion.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.

Yes can be a solenoid issue. The reason I had you check the relay is the solenoid gets power from the relay. The solenoids are not hard to replace. You just need to remove the pan to gain access to them.