sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2006 dodge ram 2500: alternator was not charging

2006 dodge ram 2500 diesel. alternator was not charging. no other problems. got home and removed the battery cables while the engine was running to make sure it wasn't charging. engine died. hooked up negative cable while key was still on. bad noises and a blown pcm fuse, keeps blowing new fuses instantally. removed computer, fuses don't blow. still have gauges and all functions but will not start. Is it safe to say I fried my computer or is there anything else I should test before I spend my retirement on a new computer? Thank you
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It does sound like the ECM has failed because of this. Unhooking the battery cables with the engine running caused a large voltage spike which has done internal damage to the ECM. The battery is needed to smooth out the highs and lows of the charging system output, unhooking it has either allowed a small spike or it allowed it to quickly overcharge and damage the ECM. The alternator is capable of near 60 volts of output in some cases.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thankyou for for answering, the keywas on but the truck was off when the damage (seemed) to happen and I was pretty sure that the alt. Wasn't working. It also burned up my Electric brake booster. I just want to make sure you could only fry the comp. Even with the alternator not charging. Thanks again!

In your first question you said "removed the battery cables while the engine was running to make sure it wasn't charging". Now you're saying that you didn't remove the cables with the engine running? Either way if the ECM blows a fuse when plugged in but it's ok when it's unplugged then an ECM problem seems likely. If you didn't remove the cable with the engine running then some electrical testing may be in order before the ECM is replaced.

I'm a full time tech and I'm at work this morning. If you reply back there may be a delay before I can get back to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, I did remove the cables while running. But hooked them up after it stopped running. No reply needed. Thank you for helping. Ordering a computer.