brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2002 Dodge Dakota: lower ball joints..wheel drive..any special tools I

Hello, I need to replace the lower ball joints on a 2002 Dodge Dakota. The truck hasXXXXX I have the ball joints, now i need instruction on how to replace and guidance on any special tools I may need

Thanks
Dino
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
brownjeff :

I will attach the instructions which will also show the tools needed:

LOWER BALL JOINT

REMOVAL

1. Remove the cotter pin, nut lock, and spring washer from the front drive shaft.

2. Remove the hub nut and washer from the front drive shaft.

3. Raise the vehicle.

4. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

5. Unload the torsion bar spring load by turning the adjuster bolt counterclockwise.

Full Size Image

• Remove the adjuster bolt, bearing, swivel, and anchor from the torsion bar.

• Remove the stabilizer bar retainer bolts and retainers from both the lower suspension arms. Swivel the stabilizer bar away from the lower suspension arm.

• Remove the shock absorber lower mounting bolt.

• Remove the rear lower suspension arm mounting bolt and loosen the front bolt.

• Remove the front drive shaft bolts from the inner CV joint flange.

• Remove the driveshaft.

• Remove the front ball joint cotter pin and nut. Separate the ball joint from the knuckle with special tool C-4150A (Remover).

Full Size Image

1. Support the knuckle with a jack stand and raise the jack up to gain access to the lower ball joint.

2. On vehicles equipped with ball joints that are retained with a snap-ring, remove the snap ring. If the vehicle's ball joint is not retained with a snap ring (joint retained with four stakes), Remove the four stakes on the ball joint flange using a chisel and hammer.

3. Remove the ball joint boot.

Full Size Image

1. Remove the ball joint using special tools C-4212-F (press), 8345 (receiver), and C4212-3 (driver).

INSTALLATION

Full Size Image

• Install the ball joint into the control arm and press in using special tools C-4212-F (press) and 6758 (driver).

• Install the ball joint boot.

• If the new ball joint is equipped with a snap ring, Install the snap ring. If the new ball joint is not retained with a snap ring (joint retained with four stakes), stake the ball joint flange in four places using a chisel and hammer.

• Remove the support that supported the knuckle.

• Install the ball joint into the steering knuckle and tighten the ball joint nut to 183 Nm (135 ft. lbs.).

• Lubricate the ball joint.

• Install the rear lower suspension arm mounting bolt.

• Install the half shaft and tighten to 244 Nm (180 ft. lbs.) .

• Install the shock absorber and tighten to 108 Nm (80 ft. lbs.) .

• Install the stabilizer bar retainer bolts and tighten to 34 Nm (25 ft. lbs.) .

• Tighten the rear lower suspension arm mounting bolt to 190 Nm (140 ft. lbs.) .

• Tighten the front lower suspension arm mounting bolt to 108 Nm (80 ft. lbs.) .

• Install the adjuster bolt, bearing, swivel and anchor to the torsion bar.

• Reload the torsion bar.

• Install the tire and wheel assembly.

• Adjust the vehicle ride height.

• Customer:

• Install the ball joint boot.

• Lubricate the ball joint.

• Reload the torsion bar.

• Install the tire and wheel assembly.

• Adjust the vehicle ride height.

•  

•  

Customer:

Great!! Will I have access to the instructions and pic's when we are done?

brownjeff :

Yes and even after you click ACCEPT if you still need help you can still reply

Customer:

What do you estimate time wise to do both? Also, thats for the info and great service as always!

Customer:

also, would auto zone have these tools C-4212-F (press) and 6758 (driver) as loners?

Customer:

Thanks for everyting!!! Would a place like auto zone have the C-4212-F (press) and 6758 (driver) as loners?

Customer:

oops,... sorry for the double question

brownjeff :

For time figure around 3 hours and normally a parts store will have these tools or similar ones

Customer:

Cool!! Thanks for everyting

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,