david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

I had my 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins Diesel Converted from

Customer Question

I had my 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins Diesel Converted from Automatic To 5 Speed Manual Transmission. Now the cruise control does not work. How can I fix the problem? The transmission installer told me there was a vacuum problem and that the solanoid vacuum switch was bad. I ordered a new one from Detroit part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNand installed it at a cost of $94.16. This did not fix the problem. Any Ideas? Thanks, Mel
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

First off some questions.
Did you replace the gage cluster from auto to the manual?
Was the power trans control module changed in the swap?
Is the horn working.
Are the brake lights working?

Now you changed out the solenoid vacuum switch, Do you know if the cruise control servo is getting power.

Hear is the diagram for the cruise control
graphic

Things to check
Is the fuse #10 and fuse #20 good
Is power getting to the cruise control switch
Is the brake switch working, If it is bad it will cancel the cruise control being set.

Let me know what you find.

I plan to do this same swap to my 01, How did it go as fair as install and driving?

Hope this helps
Good luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

David,

Yes to all your questions, except the gage cluster was not changed. I'm not sure what the difference is for auto to manual. The mechanic that did the change out told me all the electicial is working but that the system is losing vacuum. That is why he suggested that I change the solenoid switch. The swap is great except for the cruise control problem. I had major problems with the auto tranny. The dealer changed it once under warranty and the last rebuild was over $3500 which lasted less than 6000 miles. The 5 speed manual is great, more power and better mileage and it drives nice. Just have to shift down and use the clutch which I actually prefer. Please give me any more ideas you have for fixing the problem. I read one fix on the internet that suggested cutting the black wire under the the starter relay in the under the hood fuse box and then gounding the wire. What do you think? Thanks, Mel

Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
I do not know about cutting and grounding a starter relay wire.

The system is losing vacuum so at one point it has vacuum then it stops? Like you turned if off or hit the brake?

I would check the vacuum to the solenoid switch.

let me know what you find
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

David,

It has vacuum at the solenoid switch. Any other ideas on checking the vaccuum system or anything that will help find the problem? Thanks for your help. Mel

Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
Ok this is southing i have not seen before

So i Will opt out another expert will be right with you.

Good luck
Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.

The most common loss of vacuum is caused by battery acid seeping onto the servo or the supply lines. These are mounted under the battery. Acid damage can be almost unseen. I have a used a piece of vacuum line and connect it to the servo and simply suck on it - it should hold a vacuum . If not the there is a hole on then bottom of the servo-

If it holds - reconnect the line and test that at the next connection up line -continue until you find the leak.

Another consideration is the speed sensor signal- the cruise will not work if it does nor see a speed signal from the transmission output speed sensor- use a scan tool to read

VSS- vehicle speed sensor output. Please reply if you need more info or help. Thanks Scott.