sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2007 dodge grand caravan: sliding door..unlock..I checked the plug.

my 2007 dodge grand caravan sliding door will not lock or unlock. The other side works fine. I checked the plug. I unplugged and plugged it back to see if it had a bad connection - no luck. Any solutions?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You'll need to do some simple testing with a test light to see if the door lock solenoid on the latch is getting power and ground when the lock or unlock button is pressed. There are a few possible causes for this problem, but the most common would be the door lock solenoid. The solenoid is mounted to the latch at the back of the door and is serviced as a separate piece from the latch assembly. The next likeliest cause would be a break in the wiring harness that runs to the door.

If you have a test light and would like to do some testing let me know. Testing will likely involve removing the door panel, which isn't a hard task either if you've done that sort of thing before.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Exactly where is the solenoid ?
The solenoid is mounted to the door latch inside the door.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do you get inside the door? How do you take panel off?

You have to take the trim panel off to get to the latch.

Start by popping the bottoms of the trim panels loose that are at the front and rear of the door, forward and rearward of the door glass. You will notice that these panels have a clip that goes into the actual door panel. These are just push in fasteners, get behind the pane with a wide flat bladed tool and pry outward or just pull by hand.

Once those panels are free then you can remove the main panel. It's held to the door shell all the way around with push in fasteners. Again either get behind it with a pry tool and pry in the areas where the clips are, or pull the panel by hand in the area where the clips are. Work your way around the whole panel disengaging the clips and the panel will come off.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have taken the panel off of the door. It seems the lock is getting power- the lock tried to move a time or two, but it did not move it enough. How do you remove the solenoid?
You have to remove the latch from the door. At the rear of the door area you will see a large black foam piece. Remove this and you can access the latch. Remove the Torx bolts that hold the latch to the back of the door shell, disconnect the lock rod at the pivot near the front of the door, and then you can bring the latch out of the door shell and into your view. You will then be able to remove the lock solenoid from the latch and replace it. It's held on with a couple Torx screws.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, done deal. We have the solenoid out. Can I purchase it cheaper on line rather than the dodge dealer?
You should be able to pick one up HERE for cheaper than a dealer, the same Mopar part only cheaper. As far as an aftermarket part this may not be something available in the aftermarket.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much for your help. And by the way, I am a woman. Women can do things with a little help. Thanks again!

You're welcome, and good luck with your van! It was great working with you!