CDJMasterTech
CDJMasterTech, Dodge Master Technician
Experience:  Factory trained and certified Dodge Master Technician, ASE Master Technician
18188794

2001 Dodge Ram 1500: radiator..coolant..somewhere near the oil pan

I just replaced the radiator in my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 and now my coolant is pouring out somewhere near the oil pan
Category: Dodge
Expert:  CDJMasterTech replied 6 years ago.
Can you describe the area of the leak in more detail?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well for starters for a while it is a pretty steady leak. It is on the driver side underneath above where the starter is located.
Are you sure that is where the leak is coming from, or is the coolant just running to that location from somewhere else?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It could be, after it subsided I wiped the area with a towel to see where the coolant is coming from and it seem to be coming from behind this bracket.
If it is actually coming from that location it is likely a freeze plug leaking. These can rust out and leak. You will have to remove the starter to confirm the source of the leak and replace the freeze plug.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If it is the freeze plug what exactly would the problem look like when i look at it.
There are multiple freeze plugs pressed in to the engine block. The are made of steel, and are about two inches in diameter. They are there to prevent the block from cracking in the event the coolant freezes. If the coolant freezes, the plugs push out and allow the coolant to expand. If one is leaking it will be obvious, you will see a small amount of rust around the leak, and coolant coming out of one of the plugs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are they very difficult to remove?
No, you can usually push the old one in slightly and then get a pry bar between the plug and the block and pop it out. Of course you will have to remove the starter and any other pieces in the way for access. Installation is a bit tricky, as you have to have a freeze plug installation tool, or a large socket that fits the freeze plug precisely, and remove enough components to have room to hammer the new plug in square. If you don't get it in square it will leak.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If it is not the freeze plug, what else should I look for?
A leaking bypass hose, this is the hose that goes between the water pump and the engine, but you can not see it at all unless you remove the accessory bracket that the alternator and air conditioning compressor bolt to. Other possibilities are a cracked block, or leaking head gasket, but these are not as likely.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not believe it could be those either because I checked the oil today and it is not milky white.
Just because there is no coolant in the oil does not mean that the block is not cracked or that one of the head gaskets is not leaking externally. However as I mentioned before, these are not likely failures.