CDJMasterTech, Dodge Master Technician
Experience:  Factory trained and certified Dodge Master Technician, ASE Master Technician

2005 dodge ram 1500: wonder was is the largest size engine i can fit

i am wonder was is the largest size engine i can fit into a 2005 dodge ram 1500?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  CDJMasterTech replied 6 years ago.
The engine size is only limited by your budget. However unless you have a special desire to modify your current truck, or want a larger engine then is currently available as factory equipment, then it is not feasible to change the engine in any modern vehicle. The reason for this is that the engine and related electronics and mechanical components are integrated in to the truck. In other words, many things besides the engine would have to be changed, for instance, wiring, computers, transmission, rear differential to start. By the time you buy and install all the needed components it would cost more than just buying a new truck with the engine you want already installed, not to mention it would be much easier.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well the budge is not my problem it the simple fact that i will be giving this truck to my wife to use as her voulunteer fire squad response truck, because she simple loves the truck but needs a larger engine. I bought a larger truck for our farm but we were hoping to put a larger engine in this truck and letting her use it instead of possible ruining the new truck and plus this truck is paid for so no new truck payment. In your opinion what would be the best v8 for this truck for speed, power and durablility?
I don't think I made myself clear, the easiest, largest engine to install would be the 5.7L Hemi that was available as optional equipment for your truck, however unless you can get an entire donor truck for free for all the needed parts, and have the mechanical and computer expertise to make the swap, it would cost more to swap out the engine then just to buy another truck with a larger engine. A swap like this performed with used parts at going parts prices and average labor rates would easily run $10,000 plus. This is not an easy swap! Unfortunately it is not like the old days, you don't just change the engine out, everything else connected to the engine and the entire powertrain would have to be changed also.