sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

3500 Dodge: Dually..pull..the axle to change the rotor

I have a 2001, 3500 Dodge Ram, Dually. My rear rotor is trash! The shop where I take this truck for service says they will need to pull the axle to change the rotor. Can this be true? If so is what is the procedure for pulling the axle.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What they have told you is correct. The rotor bolts to the hub from the back side on a dually truck.

Obviously the first step is to remove the wheels, caliper and bracket. The axle shaft is next removed by removing the bolts in the center of the hub and sliding the axle out. Then the hub nut can be removed, and the hub/rotor assembly can be removed. Flip it over and remove the nuts that hold the rotor to the hub.

When it's taken apart it's going to need an axle flange gasket and a hub seal, so it's something you'll want to have on hand before the work is started.