Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

2007 magnum SXT: check engine light..Also it will not accelerate

Customer Question

What would cause the check engine light and traction control light to come on. The car is a 2007 magnum SXT RWD 3.5. Also it will not accelerate quickly but does get up to speed.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

I am not sure if this will work on your car, but lets give it a try!

Lets try this - Sit in the vehicle with all doors closed and starting with the key in the off position turn it to ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON(don't turn the key to the start position just on) within 5 seconds and leave the key on and watch the digital odometer or EVIC on some models, to see if it displays a fault code. It will be a P followed by 4 numbers example P0700. When it is done displaying codes or if there are no codes it will say done. If you can't get this to work, please try it again following the instructions!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried several times and no diagnostic codes popped up. I know that workes for my 2004 ram. I have used it but it does not work with my 2007 magnum.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Is there a chance you could get the codes read at a parts store? They do that at no charge.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nobody is open now. Basically, for now, is the car safe to drive?? I'll get the codes read tomorrow and get back to you.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

If your engine is running fine and the check engine light is not flashing you should be ok to drive it. Make sure your brakes are still working normally and you should be ok.

Let me know once you find out!

Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will do thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
No problem!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I pulled the codes and they show up has P0016 Cam crankshaft position corrilation sensor A and also P0016 PD with the same description. I have located the sensor is there any way to check it? Or just replace it?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
I will be with you in about 10 minutes!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

great thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

This code can be caused by a cam sensor, crank sensor, valve timing problem and etc.

This sounds like you have a timing belt that has maybe jumped a cog. You mentioned that your car lacks power and that is a sign that the timing might be out.

The first thing I would do is have someone verify the valve timing. It only takes about 45 minutes to check the valve timing.

Let me know and we can go from there!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The car doesn't lack power, the rpm's are being restricted to 3500.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

I assumed the car was lacking power when you said " it will not accelerate quickly but does get up to speed".

So, it has good power, just won't rev past 3500 rpm?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, even using the autostick is still rev limits around 3500
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Here is a list of all the possible causes for this code.

-Camshaft position sensor

-Crankshaft position sensor

-Timing gear alignment

-Cam sensor tone wheel

-Crank sensor target wheel(very rare)

-Cam or crank sensor circuit wiring/connections.

-PCM

Without a lab scope these sensors can't be checked.

I would start out by checking the timing, there are no part required to check the timing and it seems like you have a timing issue to me.

Let me know!

Thank you,

Edited by DODGETECH2875 on 6/19/2010 at 12:50 AM EST
Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I pulled the covers and all the timing marks line up correctly, the belt looks mint and is tight. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Can you take a picture of the the cam gears when the crank is exactly lined up and insert the photo in hear? I want to see how far the gears are off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already put everything back together. I did rotate the crank and the marks on both gears lined right up.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Damn, I was hoping this would be simpler. This is very hard to diagnose, because there is so many things that can cause this code to set and there are no common things that cause this code, I have seen various things cause this code, but nothing is real common.

I think the only way to find this is either with a lab scope or by trial and error(which I don't like) If you had it put on a lab scope, you will be able to see the cam and crank signal waveforms, you should be able to catch a glitch in one of them. With a lab scope hooked up you can also tap the sensors and wiggle all the wiring to see if the signal gets messed up.

These are the only two sensors that monitor for crank/cam misalignment.

You might just have to replace the cam sensor first and see how that works. If one of these sensors has an erratic signal it can cause this code.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I ordered both sensors throught the dodge dealer. The total cost was 25 bucks. I'll put them both in and see what happens. If it helps, I cleared the code with a handheld scanner and also by disconecting the battery. The code returns within 30 seconds of running.

I really appreciate all your help with this.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Please let me know how you make out!

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All right I am at a loss now. I replaced the cam and crank sensors and still the check engine light is on with all the same symptoms. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

I would still have to say this is a timing issue if it wasn't fixed by replacing the sensors.

Did you use oem sensors or jobber?

All it takes is for the left cam to be out 1 cog from the crank and it will set this code.

Are you absolutely positive everything was aligned properly?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am about 90% certain everything is alaigned correctly (10% doubt because of your insistance). What are the chances that it is either the flex plate or PCM?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

It is possible you do have a problem with the flex plate or PCM, but I haven't seen it yet on a Magnum with a 3.5L. Most of the time this is caused by a cam sensor or timing issue. I ran this by one of the top Chrysler experts and he also believes this is likely a timing issue or cam sensor issue.

Sometimes jobber sensors will set this code. Did you use oem sensors or jobber?

When ever it comes to a crank or cam sensor, I always use oem because I have seen problems with jobber sensors.

It is much easier to verify the timing than pull the transmission to check the flex plate!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I ordered both sensors through my local dodge dealer. 1 sensor came in a mopar box while the other came in a bag with no mopar markings... the crankshaft sensor came in the bag with part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNC. It also has a barcode part number of 1195fq3bm . Will driving the car cause damage?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
I can't see this causing damage if the engine runs fine and the check engine light doesn't flash, but I would be looking into this as soon as you get time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Once again, thank you very much for your time. I am more then happy to pay you again if you let me know how. I'll let you know what I find next. Thanks again.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hi, you already have paid me by accepting my answer and if you choose to pay more you can leave a bonus, but that is totally up to you. You can wait until we have this figured out!

I am going to be gone for 6 days, I am going on a fishing trip, so I won't have internet access where I am staying. If you have anymore questions, I will try and get back to you asap! Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I hope you had a good fishing trip. OK, here is what I have learned. I had a mechanic scan the computer and he found the cam sensor was not reporting in. I have 5 volts to the sensor but nothing coming out. Is it possible to have gotten a bad sensor or is there more to this problem?