sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

How to deactivate the anti-theft device on a dodge ram pick

How to deactivate the anti-theft device on a dodge ram pick up truck
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Can you describe the problem you are having?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
someone tried to break into car through pring open the window. Activated the anti-theft device and I cannot get the car to start.

What are your exact symptoms? What does it do when you try to start it, and is anything else happening?

Do you have an aftermarket alarm on the truck?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

when turn ignition it just clicks red light flashing on dashboard. All gauges are not working.

I bought the truck used and I can tell there was a antitheft device but I have not ever used it. the control device did not work when I bought the vehicle.

Where is the red light flashing? Is it a round red light in the instrument cluster itself, or is it somewhere else on the dash?

How could you tell there was an antitheft device on the truck that you didn't use? Is there a toggle switch under the dash, an extra red light installed on the dash, aftermarket key fob, etc?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a round red light in the dash. Have not notice a toggle switch under dash

The light is in the instrument cluster along with the other gauges, correct?

Do the headlights work, nice and bright?

Do you have a voltmeter to do some testing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes the headlight works.

No I do not have a volt meter

Does anything at all come on when you turn the key on?

You went out after I asked you to, and checked the brightness of the headlamps?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The light will not come on.

That's what I figured. That goes along with the rest of your symptoms. You don't have a problem with the factory security, your problem is with extremely low battery voltage. You are seeing the security light flash because the instrument cluster doesn't have enough battery power to power up properly, just like any other module.

You're going to need to either try a jump start or swap in a good battery. Jump starting may not work though, many jumper cables aren't up to the task when a battery is this low. If you have a set, give it a shot though. If not, swap in a good battery and the truck should start right up.

I'm a full time tech and I'm at work this morning so there may be a delay before I can reply if you reply to me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we will try this and get back if necessary. The truck was working fine. I had a pvc pipe extended out my right window and rolled the window up on it. It cause the right side glass to pop out the track. I was on the right side of the vehicle and reached over and put the key in the ignition to be able roll the windows down as they are electronic and I need the key in the ignition to do this when I tryed to start the car, that is when everything else went dead. I had no prior problems with the vehicle not starting prior to this incident.

Check battery connections, and if they are ok then go ahead with trying a jump start or finding a replacement battery.

Let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That did not work the battery was taken to a place for charging and I was told that the battery was fully charge no problem with the battery. I will repeat the question. If you know how to reset the anti-theft device on a 2006 dodge ram pick up truck please tell me that. I am positive that is the problem. Thank you

Your problem is not with any factory antitheft device. Factory security, VTSS or SKIM, both work by allowing the engine to start and shutting off the fuel injectors to kill the engine. This is not your problem, you have a problem with low battery voltage across the whole vehicle.

You didn't need to have the battery charged, you needed to swap it out with a known good one, or have a true load test done on it. Hand held computerized testers are not reliable or relied upon by professionals.

You either need to swap in known good battery or we need to do some electrical testing with a voltmeter. Let me know if you have a meter and would like to do some testing.