The windows on my 2005 Dodge Stratus wont roll up or down.

The windows on my 2005 Dodge Stratus won't roll up or down. We bought a new switch and my husband put it in. It worked great until he put all the door parts back together. Then the window would roll down but would not roll back up. So he pulled it back apart again and checked for current in the switch to the window motor. Their is current to the motor and to all the up and down switches. Except on the main switch there is only current to the down side. I checked the fuse and it is ok. What is your idea on what the problem is?

Elgin, Or
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX there is current coming out of the switch in the down position, but not in the up position, then you have defective switch, there is obviously power to the switch if it goes down, then this leaves abad switch, replace it,Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We bought a new switch. We had the panel off the door and hooked up the new switch. Everything worked perfect. We drove home and I unplugged the switch and screwed the switch back into to panel, plugged it back in , put the door panel back together, rolled down the main window and it would not roll back up again , neither would any of the windows work. Then I pulled it all apart again and checked to see if there was current to the switch and the window motor and there was.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
if you have power at the switch, and power to the down side of the motor, then it has to be in the switch, i think you just got a defective one, this happens,Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Why do you think it worked good until I unplugged it again and hooked it back up? Could there be something in the system that is causing the switch to short out?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
i cant tell you why it went bad, but i doubt it is caused by an external short, what did the old switch do?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

For a while we had been noticing things weren't quite right with the old switch. Sometimes we would have to shut the door before we could get the windows to go up or down. This is when it was parked of course. We also noticed the beeper for the key in ignition was sometimes working and sometimes not working. Sometimes it would only beep once when the door was closing.

Is there anyway we can put direct current to the window motor to roll up the window, to keep the rain out?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
Yes, disconnect the motor, and run a jumper wire to one of the wires to ground, then a jumper from the other wire to 12 volts, if the window goes down, swap the wires, it will go up,Tim