BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

1999 Dodge Durango: 5.9l 4X4..check engine light..error codes..12 VOLT

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango 5.9l 4X4
The check engine light turned on so i went to auto zone and they scanned it.
it showed error codes

I replaced the relay and cleared the codes, then a few days later the light came back with the same codes.
And now i can tell the transmision isn't shifting properly.
It seems to not be shifting into O/D on the highway
and also seems to start up in 2 or 3 gear from a stand still.

Anyone want to tackle this with me.......
Category: Dodge
Expert:  BigBob replied 6 years ago.

Sounds like the pcm is going to be bad or the center connector at the pcm is not making contact. The transmission is in limp in mode. Ground the Pink wire at pin 30 in the center Powertrain Control Module connector when plugged in. If the transmission shifts OK now, check the terminal at pin 30. If OK, replace the PCM. The pcm grounds this circuit to activate the relay you changed. graphic

Let me know if i can help further,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So i need to clear back a area of the Pink wires coating and drive the vehicle and short it while moving to see if it shift all the gears?

or just short it once while parked then drive it?

Expert:  BigBob replied 6 years ago.
Unless you can get a wire probe in there at the connector to ground the wire. We use a long probe that you can just connect a good ground to. You can do it before taking off, because it sounds like it is starting in the wrong gear.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok i tested the voltage on the pink wire after reseting the PCM by disconnecting the battery.

and the results were as follows:

with the check engine light off before running thru the gears the voltage is 0.0V

after running around the block the check engine light comes on then the voltage is 13.84v

With that said are 100% confident its the PCM?

I dont want to just change a part as expensive as this without being sure.

Let me know

Expert:  BigBob replied 6 years ago.
That means the computer is not grounding that pin like it should. If the connector is making good contact this is your next move. That pin has to ground to make sure the transmission will work. Did you try grounding it while driving and see if it works? I would just run a new ground wire to the pink wire and drive and see if it is ok,if so there is your problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I didnt ground it out for fear of shorting something and hurting the PCM or blowing a fuse.

Since the voltmeter showed it had voltage when the check engine light came on?

wouldnt that be a dead short?

If your comfident it wont damage anything, i will try it tommorow when i get home and let you know the results.

Jimmy P

Expert:  BigBob replied 6 years ago.
I can't contact you by phone, site restrictions. Let me just do a little research in the morning and I will touch with you here tomorrow. I do not have the schematic with me,let me double check before doing it.

Edited by Bob on 6/15/2010 at 4:43 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sounds good thanks
Expert:  BigBob replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I rechecked and the pink wire should be grounded to make the relay work. Ground that wire and it all should work. If this wire goes to ground that is what it should do. Ground it and see if everything works.