Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1999 dodge dakota: you bleed the clutch master and slave cylinders

how do you bleed the clutch master and slave cylinders on a 1999 dodge dakota with a2.5 lt.4cyl.5 speed when there arent any bleeders ??????
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

It is a sealed system from the factory and the replacement is also a sealed system that is pre-bled. I really hate having to tell you this, but by trying to bleed this unit, you have inadvertantly blown the internal seals in the clutch master cylinder and at this point need to replace the entire unit.

1999 DODGE DAKOTA HYDRAULIC SYSTEM SERVICE

The hydraulic linkage system is serviced as an assembly only. No maintenance is required. The individual components that form the system cannot be overhauled or serviced separately. The cylinders and connecting lines are sealed units. Bleeding or flushing is not required.

Fluid level will increase as the clutch wears. A level ring is provided on the reservoir. Level should not be above the ring. If it is, suspect an unacceptable amount of clutch wear.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the nuts attaching the slave cylinder to the clutch housing.
  3. Remove the slave cylinder from the housing.
  4. Remove any line clips.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Disconnect the interlock switch wires.
  7. Remove the locating clip from the clutch master cylinder mounting bracket.
  8. Remove the clip that secures the clutch pushrod to the clutch pedal. Remove the retaining ring, flat washer, and wave washer, if equipped. Slide the pushrod off the pedal pin.
  9. Inspect the bushing on the pedal pin and replace if it is excessively worn.

NOTE Verify that the cap on the clutch master cylinder reservoir is tight so that fluid will not spill during removal.

1. Some master cylinders are bolted in place. Others are locked by turning. If fastened by hardware, remove it at this time.
  2. Remove the hardware attaching the reservoir and bracket to the dash panel and remove the reservoir.
  3. Pull the clutch master cylinder rubber seal from the dash panel.
  4. On master cylinders locked in place, rotate it 45º CCW to remove it. Remove the remote reservoir, slave cylinder and connecting lines from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Verify that the cap on the fluid reservoir is tight, so that fluid will not spill during installation.
  2. Insert the master cylinder in the dash. Rotate it 45º CW to lock it in place or replace the fastening hardware.
  3. Lubricate the rubber seal to ease installation.
  4. Seat the seal around the cylinder in the dash.
  5. Install the fluid reservoir and bracket, if equipped, to the dash panel. Tighten screws to 40 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
  6. Install the master cylinder pushrod to the clutch pedal pin. Secure the rod with the wave washer, flat washer and retaining ring. Install the locating clip.

NOTE Do NOT remove the plastic shipping stop from the pushrod until the slave cylinder has been installed.

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle securely on jackstands.
  2. Insert the slave cylinder pushrod through the opening and make sure the cap on the end of the pushrod is securely engaged in the release lever before tightening the attaching nuts. Tighten the nuts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
  3. Lower the vehicle.
  4. Remove the plastic shipping stop from the master cylinder pushrod.
  5. Operate the clutch pedal a few times to verify proper operation of the system.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Hydraulic clutch components

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
eric the replacement parts i purchased where not a sealed unit but two individual parts from orieley auto parts and i simply tried to follow there instructions that came with the parts ,do you suggest i should gat the parts from dodge and if so does it come as one complete unit or should i stick to carpentry and take the truck to the dealer?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Take the parts back to O'Reilley's and tell them that they are not right, that this is a sealed combined unit. No need to go to dealer for the parts. Napa, Carquest, Bumper2Bumper all carry the correct combined sealed unit you need.

I dont know why some aftermarket manufacturers make them separately, when they know that it has to be sealed unit. I have seen this problem on some Ford trucks as well that require a sealed combined unit.

You didnt do anything wrong. I blame this first on manufacturers for making them and also on the parts people for not paying more attention and selling you the correct part instead of just trying to get the sell and sell whatever they happen to stock

You get the right part, it will be a breeze compared to what you have tried to accomplish at this point.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.