Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Dodge Technician experience. I know these cars in great detail.
9795573

I just replaced clutch. Now the car wont go into gear when

Customer Question

I just replaced clutch. Now the car wont go into gear when the engine is running. When the engine is off I can shift into all the gears. Hydraulic release seems fine - no leaks etc. it was working before clutch replacement anyway. I also replaced pilot and throw out bearings, pressure plate. what else can cause car not be able to go into gear?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  b5demon replied 6 years ago.
usually when that happens it is because the input shaft is grabbing the pilot bearing and not stopping when the clutch is disengaged it sounds like you pilot bearing may have been damaged when reinstalling the trans
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

I have a differing opinion. The two most common things that cause this after a clutch replacement are insufficient travel on the throwout bearing or a defective pressure plate. If the pressure plate isn't releasing evenly one side of it can drag, and not want to release. I have seen this about a dozen times in thew 35 years I have been working on Dodges. By far the most common problem is when the hydraulic system isn't moving the throwout bearing enough to disengage the clutch completely. I would suggest bleeding the clutch slave cylinder. If it has a little air in it, the system could possible work fine with a used clutch, but now it needs a bit more travel to operate a new clutch. The thicker and newer a clutch is the more travel the hydraulic system has to have to operate the clutch, and make it disengage to allow it to go into gear. It is possible that the throwout bearing was the wrong one, but if you carefully compared the two, you can eliminate that from the list of possible problems. By far the most common issue, is a little air in the hydraulic system that the old clutch system tolerated, but the new clutch system wont. . If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for such a full answer. I took the transmission out again to replace pilot bearing. Then I decided to return the whole kit (throw out, clutch and pressure plate) back to autozone - pressure plate seemed a bit different from the old one, so I thought that might be the problem. Got the new kit from carquest this afternoon and just finished installation and its all the same - still wont go into gear with the engine running. Clutch feels much softer now too. Now Im planning on getting new hydraulics - the system comes as a single piece (slave, master and a line and filled at the factory) and there is no bleeding screw so if there is, in fact, air trapped in the lines the only way to get it out would be to replace the whole assembly. I just would like to confirm with you before I go and buy it that it is really what I need or if there is any way to bleed it. thank you
A lot of these systems are set up where there is no bleeder, and if yours is that variant you don't have many options. You can cut the plastic line and manually bleed it, then repair the line, but this is tough if you have never done it, and the new system would be your best option. The carquest parts are better quality than the autozone parts. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
Experience: I have 30 years of Dodge Technician experience. I know these cars in great detail.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, so I just replaced clutch hydraulics assembly and it still wont go into gear. Any other ideas what can be wrong with it? Another thing - I didnt replace flywheel when I had transmission off but it seemed fine to me - no grooves on it etc.

WOW you have been through the mill with this one. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is the only thing that can keep the transmission from shifting into gear with it running is for the clutch to not be releasing. You have covered all the normal stuff. Also the flywheel wont be the problem. I have been thinking about this and I just now came up with something that could cause this problem. The clutch disk, it isn't symmetrical on both sides. One side of it is almost flat in the center except for the springs, and the other side sticks out more. The flat side has to go towards the flywheel, or the clutch can fail to release.

Other than this I am starting to wonder if the clutch pedal linkage might have been changed where the geometry is off, in a way where the travel is reduced at the master cylinder, like a shorter rod from the clutch pedal to the clutch master cylinder, this would do it too. I am basically thinking out loud here, you have covered all the normal parts, and something odd is eating your lunch. Let em know if any of this helps, good luck with it I know it has been an unbelievable pain in the rear.